Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read online about every year and make but 03 Sportsman 500HO when it comes to fluids. Can I just use what a 03 500 uses. I have seen a lot of different fluid kits that vary from one to the other if it is a HO or not. I just want to get the right kind the first time and not mess anything up.

I have searched through Ebay to find a complete fluid and filter change kit. I just got this unit used from a friend and it has almost no oil in it and the transmission/rear end is cream color due to water in it.

I have read that I will need to flush the rear end twice to remove all moisture. I also plan to look into what has caused the rear end to get moisture in it in the first place. Any thoughts?

I have spent a ton of money on the unit fixing on thing after another. The guy that had it before me got burnt out putting money into it so he just gave it to me for free. Since this kind gesture was made I have spent almost $2,000 on repairs and parts. Some of which I have done and some I have had a mechanic friend help me with.

I have a bent handle bar and broken brake handle on the handle bar too from it being rolled over. Hoping to find on ebay or here for cheap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah I have an 01 S500HO and I had a problem like that with the trans. it might be a gasket or the dipstick tube might have been loose enough for water to get in from a creek or something like that. With the handlebars you can just take it off, put it in a vice and bend it back to normal. Good Luck!

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys

I love Forums! there is nothing better than being able to ask some questions and get great replies from people that have had similar situations.

Thanks for the feedback. I have ordered my fluid swap kit with extra fluid to flush the trans 2x to get all the moisture out (as suggested in another thread.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts