Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I flip my awd on the light comes on by the switch but the front will not lock in. My speedo is not working either. I read somewhere that that is the problem. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Sounds like the speedometer sensor. It's actually called a Hall Effect sensor. It will be on your right front wheel on the brake carrier. It will have a wire coming off of it leading up into the headlight pod. If your mileage and tripometer are working but the speedometer isn't, the Hall Effect sensor is probably your problem. If nothing works on the speedo, then it may be the speedometer itself. My bet is on the sensor though. Had the same thing happen on a friend of mine's 2002 500 sportsman several years ago. Put a new sensor on and that fixed him right up. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah everything else works but the speedometer it's self. I'll buy one and try it. I just found out from the guy I got it from that he put 90 weight gear lube in the front diff switch I know is not right

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
you will have to flush it out a few times if he did...if the speedo lights up and shows hours...the hall effect sensor is gone or dirty ..but the AWD should work ....but you will need to clean the heavy weight oil from the Hillard diff...may take 2-3 times before its cleaned out...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a quart of demand drive fluid. So I'll flush it out. I just ordered a speed sensor so I'm hoping one of them will fix the problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
What was thw result with your AWD? My 2004 sportsman 700 is doing thw same thing. I flip the awd switch to on and it shows its on but its not enguagin. My tac and hours and mileage works on the speedo but the speedo needle doesnt work at all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't replaced the speedo sensor yet. Just ordered it yesterday and I haven't had time to flush it out yet either. I'll keep you updated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay thank you very much. Im just getting so frustrated with mine. This year of 2015 alone ive already put in 800 for new head gasket and seals exhaust stuff new fuel lines and i go to ride yesterday in the snow (being 1 1/2 foot) and come to find out my awd isnt enguaging now ever since i took it to the dealer for the head gasket

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same type of issue with my 03 Sportsman 600, replaced the hall effect sensor and the gear selector switch... the speedo now works but the AWD will only engage when the override button is pushed. Thinking it may be a ground problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also did the diagnosis on the speedo and the AWD says on so i know now at thia point its a mechanical problem so where do i start with the mechanical stuff?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did the diagnosis on the speedo and it says AWD on so i know its a mechanical issue so now where do i start with that

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mine took a few times to do it. I turned the key off held the button for 15 seconds not 10 and then held it as i started. Then when it started it came up with the battery and wrench symbol and then i hit the overdrive button untill i found the awd selection. Took me atleast 3 to 4 times

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah mine wont do anything like that..... Wont enter diagnostic mode at all.I also have a check engine light that comes on when its in park only..... I hate electrical issues that Polaris always seems to have

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 04 600 cluster all works but the speedo needle don't move. I had the quad on jacks stands and put in gear and at slow speed the rear tires turn and then when i rev more all 4 turn fine. I put it in 4wd and all 4 turn just fine and when i ride it seems okay but no speedo needle moving. Can I clean the wheel sensor maybe? I can't find a new on online anywhere under $65

1 - 16 of 16 Posts