Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was plowing yesterday and all of a sudden it shut off when I was idling and now will not idle only runs at half choke or higher and pps or backfires out the exhaust, I changed plugs and added gas line anti freeze and same issue,also noticed my gear indicator sometimes says E since this problem started,ran fine for 2 hours before issue? please help more snow coming.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The only thing I can think of is turn the idle up and if that doesn't help take the bowl off of the carb and clean it also, look into new donut gasket for your exhaust I checked you have two gasket they are like 5 bucks a peice. When ours on our 2000 sportsmans 500 goes it makes the engine backfire, stall, run like shit is what I am saying. That could be your back fire problem I think for your stalling issue I think thats just screaming clean the carb. Let us how it goes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I managed to drop the bowl and clean the jets and now it idles but breaks up at top and noticed the y pipe at the motor was bright red and the exhaust seems a tiny bit louder? possibly clogged somewhere?will have to go back out tomorrow night.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Clean your air filter and possible replace it, put seafome in your gas, and also sounds like your running lean call your polaris dealer on how to tune it. You will also need to get a new header pipe gasket after it got red hot it probably melted it. You could also have something going on with your valves if the exhaust is louder. Also check your engine to see if you have any major oil leaks. A little build up on the top of the head of your engine is normal but make sure its not thick in any places. If I remember correctly if its lean it will run ok at low power but when you get close to full throotle it cuts out and spits and sputters which you will have to call your polaris dealer on how to tune it. Let me know if it fixes it or makes it better then we will go from there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I am going to replace the jets with new ones and get new pipe gaskets ,just odd how it ran fine 3 hrs straight and then this? could see if it sat for a while but I ride it often.

·
Registered
157 Posts
If it ran for 3 hrs good and then stalled did you check the radiator fluid you might be low enough it overheated and fryed itself, just a thought check it and let me know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
plugs were fine as well no oil leaks just poor running fixed the idle issue and now it runs the opposite so I think it just needs to be cleaned in full I tried to clean it on the machine as I didn't have the time to figure out how to disconnect the carb from the machine and I haven't gotten a manual yet to help me as I just recently purchased the machine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Check your oil, clean your carb and, tune it. Theres probably a tiny chunk of dirt in your carb somewhere cause it not to get enough gas, causeing it to spit and sputter. You can find a manual to your quad on the internet just look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts