Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Atv shifts fine when the ignition is off, but when you start the engine it will not shift. I have made sure the idle is adjusted correctly and it doesn't change anything. I read that someone said to check the transmission sensor, but it looks like it only reads what gear it's in and doesn't have anything to do whith it mechanically.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GREAT!

THANKS!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you say it "will not shift" are you saying you cannot physically move the shift linkage (like it is stuck in gear)? I assume that is the case. You could have a clutch alignment issue that is causing the belt to drag excessively on one of the CVT sheaves. This imparts torque on the driveline which tends to cause excessive friction/binding when trying to pull out of a gear. The clutch misalignment could be from something like a broken motor mount, or a tweaked frame. The clutch could also be worn and not shifting to the open position.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After reading alot on this I took mine apart and found that the drive clutch was not separating all the way thus keeping a little tension on the belt which kept it from shifting when running. It would shift fine when it was cool but after a ride it was hanging up enough it would not shift because the driven pulley was spinning. I cleaned everything with brake clean pushing the drive pulleys in and out .. Blew everything out with some compressed air and not it shifts like a new one. Hope this helps someone out before the pay shop rates to do the same thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts