Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my Uncles old 2003 sportsman 700 twin (passed away in 2008, quad has sat from 2010 to 2020). I went with the RM stator kit to bypass the failed ducati ignition. But now i'm getting an issue with overcharging. When revving the bike and riding after about mid RPM the dash starts to flash with the battery icon. I put a multi meter on and the battery volts are hitting 18+ when revved up. I have tried replacing the small little voltage regulator on the front twice (ebay $20 regulators) and nothing has changed.

The only other problem I've found is the speedometer doesn't read speed. I don't think this will affect charging in anyway but not sure. Looking for any advice.

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
I have tried replacing the small little voltage regulator on the front twice (ebay $20 regulators) and nothing has changed.
There is two ways to get high voltage: a regulator that is not regulating and a stator shorted to ground causing AC to backfeed through ground - the stator produces upwards of 100 volts, the rectifier cuts it approx. in half and the regulator keeps it below 15 volts.

You need to test the stator for a short to ground and then get a good rec/reg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts