Polaris ATV Forum banner

2003 Sportsman suddenly died

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Tazzin 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2003 Sportsman 400. I was plowing my driveway this morning, and it suddenly completely died. There's no power to the ignition, and the display on the speedometer shows nothing. The battery is only a couple of weeks old, and connections are tight. I'm an average weekend fix my own stuff type, but I've no clue on this one. Any ideas?

Robert

#2 ·
I would check engine run/stop switch on handlebar, battery voltage and then fuses - if the problem is not found there, get out the meter or test light and start chasing voltage - battery to switch - switch to wiring harness - may just be a connection

#3 ·
Hey Robert,

I'm the same, repairing my own stuff. I have a 1997 Xplorer 500 and I ran into something similar what you are experiencing. My wheeler died after it was setting idle for a minute or 2 while I was off it and doing something in the garden. I was able to jump it but ran REALLY rough, pulled it my garage and it died.. for good this time.. no lights no nothing... i pushed it into the garage and started checking things. One thing I ohm'd checked was the regulator. Come to find out my OEM regulator crapped out and fried my battery with over charge and blew out my Reverse and Neutral indicator lights and my brake light. replaced rectifier/regulator and was getting 14.5 charge battery and Ohms check on new part showed good. So far that was the issue I have seen on mine. Might want to ohm check your regulator to ensure you don't have a bad regulator/rectifier. Charge your battery and ensure it will hold a charge before you put back in or you may need to buy a new battery as well. Hope you get it figured out.. Post back with your findings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.