Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd first like to say hello to everyone as I just joined this forum and recently joined the predator’s owners club! The only issue is the engine is blown in mine and has a big hole in the crank case. Also I have a bent valve and the bottom end is junk. Luckily I found a 2004 engine that's relatively local for $750 and the guy "says" it came off a strong runner. The only issue is it’s on its own so is there any way to find within reason if it will run? If anyone has done a complete engine swap or taken their engine out to do work on it could you give me some pointers? Any tips/knowledge would be awesome and really helpful. I just would like to know if there’s anything to look out for and make sure of during this whole ordeal. I'll keep everyone updated throughout the whole process and hopefully it works out!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
The 3 things I would look for is. 1. Remove the plug and turn it over, make sure it is not froze up. 2. Check the compression. 3. Take a look at the oil in the engine see if it looks normal. However you still never know what you will be getting. Why did he pull it in the first place.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the Board!:med:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thanks that all makes sense. But how do you check compression/if it turns over if its already out ? And from what I can tell hes a wrecker and parts out atvs.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Get a better reading on it if u do a leakdown test, put piston at top dead center compression and hook ur leakdown tester on

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Okay thanks that all makes sense. But how do you check compression/if it turns over if its already out ? And from what I can tell hes a wrecker and parts out atvs.
A compression tester can be bought or rented from your local auto parts store. It gets inserted into the spark plug hole. The you must crank the engine using the starter. The tester will tell what the compression reading is. It is rather simple. Someone here should be able to tell you what the compression should be for the engine.

If he works on these machines and parts them out he may have a tester. Just have him do it in front of you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A compression tester can be bought or rented from your local auto parts store. It gets inserted into the spark plug hole. The you must crank the engine using the starter. The tester will tell what the compression reading is. It is rather simple. Someone here should be able to tell you what the compression should be for the engine.

If he works on these machines and parts them out he may have a tester. Just have him do it in front of you.
Okay I looked at a local store and they cost about 20 bucks. The only issue is the engine doesn't have a starter or anything on it so it looks like I'll have to take a chance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I bit the bullet and picked up the engine. It looks much better then I thought. Its fairly clean and has been taken care of. Now I just need some better weather and pull out the blown engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Check the rear mount i believe they are different from 03-04 the 03 didnt have reverse and the 04 does

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check the rear mount i believe they are different from 03-04 the 03 didnt have reverse and the 04 does
Oh well that could make things a little more complicated. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was 05 when they added reverse and some of the mounts changed. Any else know definitively?

·
Registered
521 Posts
check the rear mount i believe they are different from 03-04 the 03 didnt have reverse and the 04 does
oh well that could make things a little more complicated. Anyone correct me if i'm wrong but i thought it was 05 when they added reverse and some of the mounts changed. Any else know definitively?
ha u were right i forget lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts