Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2003 Polaris Trail Blazer 250 about 2 weeks ago, it ran well on the trails for a few days then stopped running.

It all started when i got a new battery (previous owner just used the pull start because they did not have the money to get a new battery)

I went to pull start the quad to bring it to the garage and the rope ripped straight out (it was very frayed) and i thought oh well ill just push it and install the battery and use the key from now on

since installing the battery the quad only runs when it wants too (usually a cold start) if i run it for a while and shut it off it usually wont start back up

cold start only works if i remove the air filter and box and spray some starting fluid into the carb, after that it runs like a dream but will never restart.

I recently replaced the spark plug and air filter so those can be rulled out, I also took off all the plastics and scrubbed down EVERYTHING to make sure no dirt or mud was the problem, the carb was also taken apart and cleaned with carb cleaner

I have put HOURS of work into this quad and dont know what else to do....Much help would be very appreciated! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Make sure you have spart to the plug first. -Then-----With your fingers over the carb inlet run the motor with switch on for awhile. Are your finger wet or dry. Did it start. Wet fingers you have an spark problem.----- Dry finger . You still have a carb problem.There is some junk in the low speed jetting in the carb. Make sure the carb is tight to the motor and no vacume leaks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
88pjunkie - spark is not a problem, it is a new plug and i also pulled the wire to check if spark was good and it is

i tried sticking my had by the carb and a little bit of liquid spits out (not sure what it is) but it is not alot, any idea of what it is? is it supposed to do that?

·
Registered
721 Posts
How much compression does it have?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dwhst9 - unsure about compression, i am unable to check -- im assuming it is good though because once it does fire up it runs good and is very powerful (no loss of power or anything like that)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I'd check the compression too..........'03, it may be time for a topend rebuild
Since it's warm outside , you can usually get them to run with 80or 90 lbs, less than that and you'll need starting fluid.
You did make sure the carb. is in all the way in the intake boot?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i recleaned the carb today and made sure it was put in tight, ran fine 3 or 4 times then once i shut it off and let it sit, it did not start again.

i do not think compression is an issue, since it runs really good once it starts -- the bike was rebuild 2 years ago by the previous owner so everything is still pretty new -- original breaks were still at a quarter which shows it wasnt used too much

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had this same problem with an 88 Trailboss. Gas out the inlet at the carb and wont run. Good spark. It might be the time to bite the bullet and pull both sides off and put in new crank seals. If just one is bad it wont start. It not a bad job and a scoot with the years on it it is probably time to replace them anyway. Careful with getting the fly wheel off. Be sure the nut is at the end protecting the threads when pulling it off or getting the nut back on will drive you up the wall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thats for all the response guys, I ordered a used carb that was pulled from a working bike, hopefully its plug in and play and the quad runs good again -- 98% sure the carb is the problem. hope to have it tomorrow

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: I installed a new (used) carb today that was pulled from a great running quad, after a little adjustment the quad fired up without a problem, ran it for a little while even turned it off let it sit for a few mins, turned the key once and it started up great -- i was very excited at this point...but then all of a sudden after about 6 tries the quad would not start anymore and is stuck where I had stopped it last.

PS the new carb made the quad idle a hell of alot better and start with just one turn of the key (always put up a fight before) -- which was making me think it was working

·
Registered
721 Posts
What is the compression?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update--

sorry I havent updated in a while I was waiting to see how things went

turned out compression was VERY LOW and i mean almost nothing (between 15-20)
a friend of mine tore down the motor because he thought there was a cracked piston but just really really worn rings.

he took it to a machine shop and got it honed (since it was already bored out previously) got a gasket kit and replaced the rings

so far the quad is in good running order...hope to get many years out of it, thanks for the help guys!

oh. btw ended up spending $200 total --
$100 for a new (used) carb
$100 for gasket kit and work done at machine shop
Labor was free since he is a good friend of mine :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
Glad to hear you found the problem :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts