Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have never owned a Polaris so don't know much about the models and issues associated with them. My son is looking to upgrade to a larger machine and has been saving his money. He found a 2003 Trailblazer 250 that he is interested in but I don't know what to tell him about the bike.

They are asking 800$ CAD for the buggy but it needs a set of rings. We are pretty handy in the garage so i'm not worried about rebuilding the top end. Just wondering if this sounds like it is worth it? Anything I should know about this bike?

Any help or input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
How do you know it needs rings? Iv'e been working on these things for over 40 years and I can't say definitively that an engine needs rings with out doing several diagnostic tests and then tearing the motor down. It's not till I can physically inspect the rings that I can determine it needs them. Up to that point, it might be my best guess it needs rings, but I might find it need piston and rings or piston, rings and a bore job, or crank seals or whatever the source of the problem actually is. If it looks good, tires are decent, brakes work, wheels turn, axle is not bent and you want to gamble, go ahead and get it. Myself, I have told sellers to fix it - when it will start and run and I can ride it to see that the gearbox works and can judge the condition of the belt and clutches, then I'll look at it and consider buying it.

I'm tired of buying shit that just needs........ only to find out it needs more or wasn't the problem at all.

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts