Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 330 that the starter motor spins but doesn't engage the engine. But let me back up a bit. The ECM was melted when it got here. It seems a common issue on this bike. The owner said that he replaced it once before. So, he brought a new one with him, and he said the carb needs cleaning cuz it has been sitting since the start of last winter. he suspects that is the reason that it won't start. So, I cleaned the carb, plugged in the new ECM and when I hit the starter, it's not cranking the engine. I've replaced a few of the Bendix drives so that was first suspect. And I happen to have a brand new Bendix on hand. So I pull the recoil starter off and I don't see a problem with the Bendix. I put the new one in anyway, and still not working. I'm a bit puzzled cuz it seems the gear on the starter motor is spinning the wrong direction to engage the bendix. IDK, weird. While looking at the starter motor gear with the recoil starter removed, the gear is spinning counter-clockwise. And if I hold the bendix in my hand and spin the gear on it clock-wise, it doesnt push out the gear that engages the flywheel. If I spin it counter clockwise, it does.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
Battery is hooked up reverse polarity or the starter motor is incorrect and running reverse of the direction it is supposed to.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Holy ****. the battery is hooked up backwards! He had it disconnected when he dropped it off, but just the hot cable. Damn I didn't even notice when I hooked it up.
You da man!!!!!!!!!

Battery is hooked up reverse polarity or the starter motor is incorrect and running reverse of the direction it is supposed to.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
You suppose that's what cooked the ECM? I wonder if the new one is cooked already.
The Control Module is supposed to be diode and SSCB (solid State Circuit Breaker) protected, but the only way to find out is to run it and assure the battery charges, the fan runs and if you want, test the hot light for function - if it's fried, the battery will not charge or the fan won't work or the fan and hot light might come on together when the key is turned on - check it out and let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got it back together and it seems all good. Runs great. And the fan doesn't run when turning on the key! LOL So, what is the deal with these ECM's melting? The guy told me he replaced it once before, and his mother in law (the owner) called and left a message for me inquiring as to why this happens. I have no idea.
Let me ask you LB. If this was your project, would you charge the guy for the time spent checking out the bendix, etc? I mean i didn't put the battery in backwards. All I did was hook up the red cable. The side of the battery was covered in dirt so I didn't really notice the + - marks. I know I should have tho. lesson learned.

The Control Module is supposed to be diode and SSCB (solid State Circuit Breaker) protected, but the only way to find out is to run it and assure the battery charges, the fan runs and if you want, test the hot light for function - if it's fried, the battery will not charge or the fan won't work or the fan and hot light might come on together when the key is turned on - check it out and let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
Why do the control modules fail? Water (penetrating the potting material), heat (internally generated changing AC into DC), cold (below freezing), age, high load caused by added accessories, failing battery and/or trying to charge a low battery with the onboard charging system, poor electrical connections including the battery terminals and especially ground connections. That covers about 80% of the WHY's.

You charge by your conscience. Sometimes you have to chalk it up to a learning experience, but I would charge for any new parts installed even if it was discovered later the old part was not defective. If the new part stay in it, it gets charged for.

Yeah, the battery thing was a novice blunder - as you gain experience you learn not to take anything for granted - most problems are simple and we tend to try to make it a major problem. I always check the obvious (or not so obvious) first. Whenever someone brings in something for me to work on, I tell them not to tell me what's wrong with it. I want to know when the problem surfaced, what were they doing when it became a problem and what they did trying to fix it themselves. If they replaced any parts, I want the old parts they took off so I can verify the part needed replaced.

I wish I had $20 for every solenoid replaced instead of the worn out starter motor and I wish I had $50 for every starter motor replaced when the Bendix was the cause of the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts