Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my son helping with routine maintenance and he reversed the battery cables. Fried the SSCB in a cloud of white smoke when we turned the key on. Now I get nothing when I turn the key on - speedo display is completely blank and engine won't crank. The ATV has been sitting like this since June. Ordered a new SSCB but the superseded PN (2203348) is on indefinite back order. I checked with the dealer and my VIN does not qualify for the recall.

I have been searching old posts looking for a work around. Latebird and other others seem very knowledgeable and there has been some references to wiring in an aftermarket voltage regular. I have decent mechanical skills but dread all things electrical (especially troubleshooting!). I do have a cheap multimeter but typically only use it to check battery voltage and residential outlets. I have never done any continuity testing.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Administrator
19,522 Posts
The SSCB in your vehicle is pretty basic - so let's see what you can do or need to do.

First you need to determine what sections of the SSCB have failed - run a fused wire from the battery to the orange wire on the key switch and try energizing the electrical system - let me know what works and what doesn't.

·
Administrator
19,522 Posts
I'll be in the hospital for a test tomorrow (scheduled from 7am to 10:30 am) - I'll be online for a short time tomorrow afternoon and then hope to be back 8 am to 10pm Thursday.

Post what you figure out and wait patiently for my response.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hope all goes well with your test. My ATV has been sitting for 3 months already so it can certainly wait another day!

I jumped the orange wire at the key switch a day found the following:

1.) Gauge assembly lights up with key in on position
2.) ATV cranks and runs
3.) Headlights mounted to front rack turn on but light attached to handlebars does not. I only turned the lights on for a few seconds because I think I read somewhere that the SSCB regulates their voltage.
4.) I did all this with the SSCB unplugged. Initially, after I reconnected the battery (correctly!), I plugged the SSCB in (with the key off). It began to hiss and smoke immediately. The engine fan also turned on.

·
Administrator
19,522 Posts
I survived my test and will be scheduled for surgery in a couple of weeks to remove part of my prostate - it is the cause of my problem.

Since all worked well with the SSCB by passed, if you want to be able to use the vehicle, you will need to rewire the alternator to charge the battery by installing a universal rec/reg and install a switch in the fan wires to be able to control the fan so it only runs when you want it to - you will just leave the SSCB unplugged so the hot lamp is not on constantly.

Done properly, no wires will be cut and when a replacement SSCBis obtained, it will be a simple matter to plug it an and remove the temporary components and restore it to it's original state.

With a universal rec/reg, you will wire the 3 yellow wire from the stator to the rec/reg in no specific order, the red wire will connect to the battery and the black wire to ground.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad things went well at the hospital - surgery is never fun but hopefully just a bump in the road over the long term.

Answers give way to more questions:

1.) Any suggestions about which rec/reg to buy and where?
2.) Do you have a wring diagram for the stator circuit?
3.) I will still need the 10amp fused line from battery to the key switch also, correct?
4.) Do you recommend I plug into the ATV side SSCB plug with my new wires? If so, I will need some "male" pins that are compatible with the female plug (or vice versa if I have those backwards).

·
Administrator
19,522 Posts
No specific rec/reg - any 5 wire (3 of one color, a red (to battery pos) and a ground) - can use Honda, Kymco, Roketa, Rick's, Hyosung............. any will do. Yes, you need to maintain the fused wire to the key switch. Yes, connect to the ATV wiring connectors if possible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Sorry - more questions:
Do you know the name/style of the SSCB 10 pin wiring connector by chance. Ideally I'd like to find a male pigtail for that. Also, where do wires 37 and 38 in the diagram above come from?

Thanks again for all your help thus far.

·
Administrator
19,522 Posts
No. I do not know the connector make and I don't have one I can examine at the moment

Wires 37 and 38 go to the temperature sending unit - it provides a logic signal to the SSCB to control the fan and hot lamp
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Pattern

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Following up on this. Thanks to a lot of help from latebird, my ATV is up and running again. I had no luck sourcing both connectors I needed to make a no-cut install in case the SSCB ever goes back into production (I would probably switch back due to the fan controller if I could get a replacement SSCB). However, when researching the connectors I found a nice surprise, although it was more expensive than a few plastic connectors! Even though you can't get the replacement SSCB, you can get the "adapter harness" and it has all the plugs you need with the correct color wires.

PN: 2410921 ($60)
Asphalt Road surface Wire Cable Recreation

I also bought a 10amp fused line, a weatherproof switch to control the fan and a 5 wire rec/reg from Rick's:
Light Line Electrical wiring Asphalt Cable

Asphalt Road surface Wood Grey Grass

I had to graft the adapter harness to the rec/reg and run the 10amp fused line direct to the battery (please excuse all the blue wiring, that's all I had). All connections soldered and heat shrinked.
Electrical wiring Asphalt Road surface Electrical supply Wire

Here it is installed:
Electrical wiring Cable Gas Electrical supply Wire

I really didn't want to drill a hole in the speedo assembly but figured this ATV is 18 years old and doesn't have a ton of resale value anyway. Even if I did sell I would have to explain what the switch is for regardless of where it was mounted. The switch looks good and hopefully having it right in front of my face will remind me to turn it on!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Fuel tank Motor vehicle

If anyone wants more details about the wiring, just let me know. I found the rec/reg on Ebay as a "new/open box" and paid less than half of retail ($125). I have just over $100 into everything so it was cheaper than buying the replacement SSCB. However, as mentioned above, I would probably switch back in order to have the automatic fan controller. There is probably a way to rig up a controller but I didn't want to mess with it. My ATV has been sitting since March and I just want it back up an running.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts