Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2004.5 sportsman 400 from an old timer. It had 304 miles on it. So I couldn’t pass it up. About a month after I bought it I was riding with my buddy and it died after going thru some mud. I changed the plug in the field and still not starting. Pulled the plug back out to see if I could see a spark and nothing still. I got towed home and started reading up. My background is in residential hvac service not vehicles but I understand electrical systems and can read diagrams and use a meter. How hard could it be. Long story short I ended up changing the stator and pulse coil. I didn’t use a oem stator as the price is ridiculous. I went with one from rm stator. Put it all back together turned it over and zilch. It turns over just no spark. I was sure that i was going to be victorious. I should have started tracing back from the plug to the ignition coil and went from here before buying the stator. But, the resistance I got across the pulse coil (w-wr) was 168 ohms and it was supposed to be 97. I notice the recoil handle was not completely seated the day I got towed home. When I pulled the recoil cover off it had a bit of moisture, rust and a few tiny spring looking things that I still don’t know where they cam from. So I changed it.
Now that this repair isn’t working I am looking to the ignition coil. I read resistance across primary to ground last night and I have 0 ohms. I still need to pull the front end plastic off to really get the ignition coil off the machine and check the plug wire. I am just looking to see if anyone else has any advise of where/what else to look at. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My first guess would be the ecm, they had bad luck with them back then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts