Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In need of some help here. Got a 2004.5 sportsman 600. Need to know Where's the best place to find parts for it? The charging system is bad so I'll need a regulator or stator. It clicks so I'll need a u or cv joint. Don't know how to check those though. Also, she needs a paint job so I need info on that and where to find a brush guard for it. I can't find one anywhere. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
251 Posts
not sure how you feel about ordering off the internet, but cyclepartswarehouse is usually well priced for parts, or partshark, if you need U joints, take the old ones out and go to a local bearing shop, they should be able to match them up (way cheaper than oem),the cv joints can be rebuilt with a rebuild kit, as for regulator or stator, I would figure out which one you need first, the stator will be costly. I know my regulator has a plug under the hood by the rad that gets corroded and I have to clean it up once in a while or the machine wont charge.... as for paint,, I have no ideas...

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Ebay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do I determine if it's the regulator or stator? And how hard is it to rebuild the cv joint? I've never done that but I'm pretty good with mechanics.

·
Registered
251 Posts
How sure are you its the bike not charging and not the battery not holding a charge?? I would check battery voltage with bike off, your looking for 12.4 volts, then fire the bike up and rev it up to between 3000 and 4000 rpm, and check voltage again should be up near 13-14 volts... After these two tests for voltage you have to start amperage tests to check the other two units. As for the CV's, i have never done it either, but I dont think it would be too hard. YOu may need the pliers for the boots though.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
CV or U-joint, neither is that hard. Lots of videos on Youtube to walk you through it. If you shop around though, the cost of the CV joint is likely the same as just buying a complete after market axle assembly and that is much less time and effort to change.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just one bit of advice...Polaris just click and pop. If it isn't extremely bad, I wouldn't change anything about the CV joints. Odds are you will change stuff and it will still click and pop.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help everyone. I'm sure it's the charging system because it's a new battery and works for quite a while after a charge. I did however just find a bare wire on the hit side of the starter solenoid. Anyone know if the stator runs back to the solenoid to charge the battery? As for the clicking and popping. It's not really too bad and only in reverse. So ill just ride it out for now. I keep coming across more information about this atv and I'm still working out the kinks. Any other advice I should look into?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Here is my advice... you have to fix the charging system, but other than that, don't spend too much time and effort trying to make a 2004 4-wheeler perfect. Get it mechanically, and electrically, sound... and then ride that sucker. My first atv was a 2003 sportsman 600 that I bought used in 2005. I tried to get it back like new, but you just can't. It's not new, it's used. You will spend lots of money and still have a used ATV. Once I figured this out I was much happier and got 9 years of good use out of it. So don't worry about ever click and pop. Just ride. I just traded to a new 570efi. Hope it's as good as my 600.

·
Registered
251 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the stator should run back thru the voltage regulator to charge the battery. Not 100% on that, but if the blck/red plug on my voltage regulator is not plugged in properly, then my battery doesn't charge.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The broken wire is the common to the voltage regulator. I fixed that but now the atv won't shut off. Someone had wired a bs starter switch on it. So, that means that I'll have to fork out the cash to get a switch and wiring harness. I'm assuming it won't shut off because it does have the proper switch????

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It won't shut off correctly. The brown and black wire on the off side of the switch aren't hooked up. So I need to figure out how to fix it. Even when I put them together one wire is still on the hot side because the Guage stays on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The switch my uncle put on has a battery, acc, start, and ignition post. Per the wire diagram I've got three wires for starting two for run and two for off. I've gotten it to where it will start and shut off now. So I just have to fine tune where my wires go.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He lost the keys and went ******* on it and just put a momentary ignition switch on it. I got it fixed. And fixed the charging system. Saved myself 200 plus dollars. That's what I'm talking about!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I broke the bolt in the lower left rear a arm. So it's back down again. Sadly enough ebay only has the right side a arms for some reason

1 - 18 of 18 Posts