Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got some decent weather and took the 700 and 500 to Slades Park for an afternoon of getting dirty. It was my fist trip with the 700. I really like the power and everything worked great. One think I noticed though was a bit of a clank when hitting the throttle or switching from reverse to forward and back. Not real loud or excessive, just a metalic noise as if there was a little slop in the drivetrain. I know the bearings and CV joints are in good shape, so it's not those. It also happens in only two wheel drive so I think it's somewhere between the transmission and the rear end. I'm going to get my son to help me this weekend to try and pinpoint where it's coming from. However I'm curious if this is common or normal?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Have you changed your tranny and rear fluids lately? Sometimes the clunk gets worse w old fluids.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's on my to-do list. I have all the fluids and did the 500 before we went. I'm planning to do the 700 on Saturday. Might help.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had a 2003 700...mine did that from day one

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Its driveline slack. There is a bit of play in all the splined axles and when you go from front to back it is doubled. Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Yes, as mentioned, they all do it. Sometimes it's more noticeable with old or low fluid levels.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
If its clunking while your moving or turning at constant speed then look for a problem....otherwise no worry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts