Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have a 2004.5 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI, and I'm looking at putting 27" Swamp Lite tires on ITP ss212 rims. My first question is, are these tires/rims any good? I have a few buddies that have them that swear by them. I mainly trail ride and plow my driveway in the winter. Second, what clutch kit should I get, and does it matter that my engine is EFI? I am new to the ATV scene and really like it, so I would like to get into it, but don't want to throw money away, so I'm looking for some advice.

Are 27" tires too big to go to right off the bat? I like the mud, but will these tires dig me deep, or pull me out?

Thank you for your time...

·
Registered
563 Posts
The ITP SS212 rims are good ones.The swamp lites are pretty good tires as far as traction goes but they wear pretty fast.You may need a small lift kit for the 27" tires and depending on tire width and rim offset,you may have to use wheel spacers.It does not matter about it being EFI. One of the guys on here DirtyDawgDale sells good clutch kits www.dirtydawgperformance.com You might ask him if he has a clutch kit for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've heard that about the swamp lite's, what tire do you recommend I go with? I don't want to dig too bad when I'm hittin the mud puddles, and I would like something that's durable, and doesn't wear very quickly, since I do ride on hard packed trails, and ice race in the winter with the tires spinning for hours. Any recommendations? Also, I know nothing about tires, all I know is the stock size tires get me stuck! Are 27" tires too big? should I go with the 26" that is an inch larger than stock? I'm looking for a little more ground clearance, but don't want it to be tippy if you know what I mean. I'm not too keen on putting spacers in, or a lift kit, can't you just mount the tires and get a clutch kit and be good? Or is the lift kit a necessity for that big of a tire? Thanks again for all the help!

The Rookie...

·
Registered
563 Posts
You can use 26" tires without a lift and put a clutch kit in it and go ride.27" will be real close to rubbing.You can get a small basic lift kit(1.5-2")shock mount type and easy to install for around $50 bucks if you want to use 27" tires. ITP Baja Cross and Maxxis Bighorn tires(and some of the look a likes) wear really good or if you want a little more aggressive looking tire ITP Mudlites, XTR's, 589m/s and Maxxis Zilla's all wear pretty decent.I ride in Ice and snow but I couldn't say what would be the best for ice racing.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The best tire to use for studding is a flat profile tire this will give you the best bite on the ice and most controllable ride. If you need a clutch kit we can make your machine work awesome with stock or big tires.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have 27x9x14 front and 27x11x14 rear ITP 589 tires & ITP SS212 rims for my XP and since it is in the shop,I thought I would test fit them on my 07 Sportsman(with no lift kit).They fit good,no rubbing,and look pretty good to boot lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate the help guys, however, the 07 is different than the 04.5, they changed the body style in 05. My machine is the 03 body style, and doesn't have a lot of clearance in the front. The rear will be fine, but the front may have to be cut or shaved down a little... We'll see... I'll repost when I finally get it done...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an 04 700 with 27" Mud Machines and they did rub when I hit a moderate bump. I put 2" forward a-arms from Superatv with no lift.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts