Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bike and type of repair are new to me, but I tackle pretty much anything.
I have completely rebuilt this front end- and in process of bench testing before I fill with fluid and put back on. I am sure the armature plate is in the notches of the roller cage, I put 12V to it with battery charger and I cannot get the (2) front shafts to lock and spin.
I have taken apart a few times to learn how it works, I have the correct OHMS as specified in my manual.
I can put power to it and the magnet works but I can still move the plate around. It does have more resistance when 12v applied and the magnet is working.
Question: When 12 applied should I still be able to move the plate - remember its not free spinning and is pulled against magnet.
Its like the plate is not turning the roller cage to engage the side shafts.
What am I missing..
Thanks in advance for any advice...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone tore into one of these- that can give me some advice..
I just need to confrim the function of the armature plate/magnet/roller cage.
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
when I have pulled them apart in the past I have done exactly what you did. When you apply the 12v it would hold the armature plate so hard it was really hard to twist with your hand. If you don't have that then you may have a weak magnet.

Do you have all the rollers in properly? Is the armature plate in the right way? The tabs lock into the roll cage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes tabs locked in for sure.
Rollers seem correct.
However the plate can be turned by hand when powered up- Weak Magnet?
Any ideas on how to repair this?
Now I am using my battery charger on 2 amps to power it up.
Maybe I should use a 12v battery.

Thoughts...
Thanks

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
That would be the first thing I would try. Not sure if you can "fix" the magnet. I had one like that in a hub on an 01. Just replaced it. It would grab but with no force at all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks
Looking closely at the 2 rings around the magnet, they are a little higher then the magnet and kinda rough (not smooth). I am going to attempt to clean them better and be sure smooth to give nice even grab when magnet is energized.
I do have a brand new armature plate and its flat.
I will also try a good battery to power it and not my battery charger.
thanks again- will keep all posted..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All Fixed... Works fine Now on the bench

Well after closer look, the 2 metal rings on each side of the coil were pitted and rough. I sanded then smooth- they are still raised above coil. Now when I apply 12V the armature sticks tight to them and I cannot turn it. The New armature plate, rollers, H-clips, Bearings, and seals- working like it should on the bench. It will be some time before I get her back in and the engine rebuilt - before I can road test it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts