Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm about to perform my first maintenance on this new to me 500HO. I have a manual on order but it's not here yet and was wondering if someone could help me out.

Engine oil is type Amsoil AFF 0W-40...is 2 liters enough? Or I need to purchase 3 liters?

Oil filter Napa 1358?

Been doing a bit of reader, just empty out the oil tank, then turn the engine over 10 times to empty crank case? Isn't there a screen somewhere to clean?

Front differential, Amsoil 75w-90 TGR?

Transmission, Amsoil TCC?

What about the rear end? Hubs?

Is there anything else beside air filter I should change? Does Napa have a replacement air filter?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
These machines take 2 quarts (1.9 liters) of oil. Just drain the oil tank, in the front left wheel well and also the crankcase drain on the engine. The engine drain can be a bugger to get to, and is located on the right side of machine behind the floor board. After you locate it by looking under the machine you can view it from the foot brake pedal hole for the re-install. The screen is easiest accessed from the right front wheel well with the right tire removed.... this can be a real bugger to get the hose off and even get it broke loose and spun out of the tank. I ended up cutting the hose off and then gave up trying to get the screen out of the tank..... before I broke the plastic tank. I ended up using compressed air from the fill side and blew out the tank/screen and checked flow out with a little clean oil..... it was fine! So I replaced the hose with new. Refilled the oil tank and primed the pump and on about my business I went.

As for oil brands and grades I will not comment (much)..... I use a quality/name brand 0W40 synthetic in the engine and the recommended Polaris oils/lubes in the tranny/rear differencial combo unit and the front differencial units.

On my first "new to me service" on the wifes machine (2005 Sportsman 400), I changed out the:
- engine oil (Modil1 0W40)
- engine oil filter (Purolator # 14610 3.5" Filter Length)
- tranny/differencial combo unit oil (Recommended Polaris)
- front differencial (Recommended Polaris)
- checked the coolant level and protection range
- check brake fluid levels in both resivours (and checked brake pads)
- replaced air filter and cleaned filter primary cover bag
- checked all light bulbs in head and tail light system

Some other good ideas may be to:

1) Replacing the spark plug, may not be a bad idea.... but may not be needed if running good!!

2) Another good idea may be to pull the clutch cover and clean the clutches and check the belt. Notes: Set up a box fan blowing at your back. Than use compressed air to blow out the clutches really well!! With belt removed.... take a scotch brite pad and "lightly scuff / clean" the sheeves in a center to outward motion (or tangent to the shaft). In spect the belt for "glazing" (shinny edges) and frays.... Reinstall the belt and housing cover/floor board.

3) Another may be to dielectric grease all the electrical connections, exspecially if you plan to ride in water, mud and muck!!

4) A shot of Seafoam in the gas tank to keep the gas good and the engine internals cleaned!!

Good Luck and Enjoy your new machine!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot for your info,

One last question, what do you mean by priming the oil pump? how do you do that?

Sbishop

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Check this out (Oil change instructions for 400 & 500 Sportsmans)..... http://polarislubricants.com/pdf/SPTM%20400-500%20Oil%20Change.pdf

You need to clamp the vent hose, (under front plastics) just before the vent slit. Fire the machine up and the "ticking" will go away when it's primed, generally in a few seconds (5-15), than quickly remove the clamp ( I use a needle nose vise grips). But don't let the clamp on to much longer than the 15-20 seconds or it could pop the oil tank!

Another helpful link (lube chart).... http://www.purepolarisoil.com/pdf/maintenance_guide_orv_2013.pdf

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I would not check the screen. I have never heard of one being clogged up or anything. I never prime my oil pump either. I change the oil pretty quick and everything is a go. I am not telling you not to prime it I am just saying I don't. Some people do and some people don't it is a choice you need to make. Any good synthetic will work as long as you stay around the 0W40 or 5W50 range and change it every 50 hours. I am the black sheep of this forum and not one ounce of Polaris or Amsoil lubricants go into my machines . All my stuff is bought from Wal Mart.

Ronnie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts