Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my front springs look pretty shot after having a plow on the front most of its life so i ordered some EPI HD Front springs WE320000
How do you guys change them? I can't seem to find a spring compressor small enough
I can figure out how to get them off with out killing my self but putting the new ones on are a whole nother story!
Any help with ideas would be appreciated

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
I use 3 small ratchet straps and clock them evenly around the spring, works well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats about the same idea i came up with.
Now after looking around i find that make small spring compressors for atv springs but i need to change these today and can not wait till next weekend. Wife wants to ride sunday and don't wanna miss that chance some fun!

·
11,021 Posts
The fronts only have about an inch of preload on them unless you have spring spacers or something. You don't need a spring compressor to change them. You can leave the strut housing attached to the a-arm and hub and use the weight of the machine with a wood block under the strut to do it by loosening the pinch bolts on the strut cartridge. If you have the struts off the machine, I usually just put the strut housing bottom in a vice and wrap a ratchet strap all the way under the vice/housing bottom and hook to the spring to compress it enough to start the nut. Then pull it on down with the nut. If you have a good strong friend they can usually just push the spring down enough to start the nut too.
The rears are a totally different matter.
Here's a not all that good vid of a guy doing it. Skip all the BS to around 15:00 of the video.
Should be other Youtube vidoes out there to show you as well.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Well i got it done. Kinda sketchy but both are done and i have no new scares!
Compressed them in a drill press and bailing wired them compressed with a few wire ties for good measure.
Awesome 👍 idea

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Dang the front end now shimmys and im getting a knocking noise from the front on each side. Kind of think its the axles binding. Is that possible?

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Did you take any before and after measurements to see how much it raised?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No i did not. So here is what i think happened.
When i was changing the spring i flexed the cv joint to far and the axle came out of the splines. Not knowin i put it back together and everything seemed fine until i started moving forward and back under power. Started backing up kinda hard and POP everything smoothed out and felt perfect. Got off it and looked and seen the axle tore out of the joint.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup. Problem is around here no one has any so its amazon or ebay. So till i get new ones here im 2wd it this weekend. Should not be a problem, wife will not go anyplace scary!
Guess i should not say no place. Recycled cycles in Hayden has some for $50 each but they are used.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts