Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I have a 2004 Polaris ATP 330 and this thing is driving me nuts. When I ride it the battery light will come on and start flashing after the bike comes off idle. I have tested with my volt meter at the battery at about 3000 RPM the voltage reads almost 18 volts at idle the voltage is about 13 volts. I replaced the ECU from Polaris and was told the regulator was inside the ECU and still no fix I have tested the wires from the stator to what i think are the wires to the ECU and tested about a 1/2 of olm there is a piece on the front that looks like a rectifier/regulator in front of that ECU but no one can tell me that's a regulator/rectifier. I have torn this thing all the way down and inspected all the wires and all are good. Could this be the stator or is that rectifier/regulator with 5 wires to it. Any help yall can give me would be great. Thanks

·
8,728 Posts
Sounds like regulator to me. On your machine they are calling it a control module but its located by the radiator where regulators normally reside. #21 in the pic but 2 different numbers according to date of manufacture.

Module, Electronic Control [If built before 3/31/03]

Module, Electronic Control [If built after 3/31/03]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thats the part part i already replaced and i do have a rectifier looking thing in front im going to try to get a picture up to show you what it looks like if you look at that little box with the wires coming out that is to the left front standing alone is that the regulator/rectifier because the box behind it is the ecu that is brand new

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
A grounded stator will cause overcharging also , unplug it and check for continuity to ground , it should read infinite { open } from any of the yellow wires to ground .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wires from the stator to ground are no more then .5olms the other question is will the cdi box cause this because I took it off and turned it upside down and it looks like it's a little melted

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm gonna say check your stator,i had a shop tell me my regulator was bad,they replaced it,when I got it home it was still overcharging,snapped the stator apart and it was fried.Cant remember what I had for an ohm reading when I checked it at the regulator 1 terminal was burnt toast

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Ya'll I have fixed this thing I replaced the stator and still had the overcharging of 17.5 volts all wires tested good. So I replaced the CDI box and the charging went to 14.4 volts and the battery light dont flash and at 4,000 rpm I'm still at 14.4 volts this system is crazy but never would have thought the CDI box would have anything to do with the charging sys but it does. Just wanted everyone to know if they run into a problem like this the CDI does a lot of things on the polaris atp 330 that will drive a person nuts. Thanks to all for the help and the suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts