Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an atp 500. Looking to get through some pretty bad mud occasionally and quite a bit of trail. What's the biggest I can fit with stock suspension? What is a good tire? Willing to do wheels or spacers. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
With the stock suspension you can generally go an inch taller without suspension modifications. You will probably need spacers or new wheels with a different offset and backspace because the front tires will rub the tie rod ends (stock fronts are 8" wide and all the aftermarket are 9" wide. As for tires, I am sold on the Kenda Bear Claw HTR. They have handled everything I have tried and have a long tread life. At HMT this spring we saw every type of terrain from mud in the mountains to road use and they did well. I have them on the wife's 500 and my 850.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that. Anyone have any recommendations as to offset for wheels specifically for this machine?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Unless you are having wheels custom made you are pretty much stuck with what is offered. There are some places the offer 5-2 or 6-1 but most are 4-3. I went with the 4-3 offset on the wifes machine when I put the 26" Bear Claws on it. It pushes the outside of the tire about 1/2" to 3/4" wider on both sides. But it is still under 50" wide.

With the 9" wide tire on the front you only need about an extra 1/4" for the tires to clear the tie rod ends with the OEM wheels. There are places that make and sell 1/4 spacers or the plans are available here if you search for them. Then you could have some made at a machine shop near you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts