Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the board and appreciate the help. I have a 2004 early model Sportsman 500 carb. I have no power to the dash, no lights, no solenoid "click" when I turn the key, nothing. I recently replaced the battery, solenoid and starter. I had dash lights before the replacements but now I have nothing. I jumped the starter from the battery and it turns over fine so assuming the starter and battery are good. I tested the solenoid while hooked up to the battery before I installed it and I can hear the click of the magnet inside. I tested the ignition switch and it shows resistance. I've read through a few threads on this board. It appears there could be multiple things, such as fusible link, breakers, ecm, sccb (solid state circuit breaker module) etc. Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
I'm guessing you got the system power lead on the starter motor side of the solenoid - the small red wire(s) with the circuit breaker in it has to connect to the battery side of the solenoid.

Error in the service manual! In the above pic, the fusible link ahead of the circuit breaker is connected to the same terminal as the brown wire - brown is ground - the .5 mm fusible connected to the battery lead.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Do you have 12v on the red wire at the key switch?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do not have 12v at the key switch. The solenoid is a three post. I have the red and white wire connected to the small post. I have the brown wire grounded to the back side of the solenoid where it is bolted to the battery box. And also the wire coming from the battery and the wire going to the starter connected to the top posts. Is that correct?

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
That should be a white wire with a red stripe on the small post - regardless, where is the chassis power wire that connects to the same post as the battery wire?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. I got it. That wire is gray at the end and is spliced to two red wires. I hooked that to the battery wire post on the solenoid and i got power to the key and it fired right up. Thanks Latebird for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts