Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i just joined the forums, and just recently adopted a 2004 polaris 330 mag, my mom traded her old snowmobile for this ATV, stating it ran fine when they went to pick it up (Plastics and the whole machine + tires are like new condition + ownership). Later when they got it home they went to use it and they said it sounded like a bag of hammers (metal on metal) the atv shifts into gears and moves, then they turned it off. With a fit of shame they just handed it over to me excepting they got ripped off. I havent owned an atv, or dirt bike at all throughout my life, ive only done carb cleanings when it comes to small engine stuff. I have a job where all i do is electrical mechanical repairs, and some hydraulic, so i think i could tackle this myself. If this needs a new engine, is it worth ordering a used one off ebay and attempting the repair myself (consider what the machine is even worth? maybe 2300$? If there is anyone on here with experience with these 330 mags, since i havent seen the machine yet myself, what would be the first few things you would check? is it full of oil ? is there metal in the oil? are there parts of the belt/transmission that could make a metal noise aswell?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get a solid idea of what to do when i go check the machine out. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,077 Posts
Yes to each question. First thing I would do is remove the primary clutch and start the engine to see if the noise is in the engine or somewhere else. The noise could be engine, recoil starter, clutch or transmission or something else

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, when i get to it in person ill do all these steps to try to narrow it down, hopefully its not a spun rod bearing like ive been reading about this particular model.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Well if it does turn out to be the engine I have a few parts I want to get rid of. .020 over Cylinder and Piston for starters. I think I still have a new cam for the 330 engine too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts