Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Polaris Magnum 330 4x4
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently purchased a 2004 magnum 330 for around 300 due to it catching fire and the wiring harness needing replaced. I have since replaced the harness now the thing runs like brand new, even got some big ol mud tires on it. But the issue that I am having is when I go to shift it into high gear it only grinds. At first I thought it was my selector gear which was broken but I replaced that and still nothing. I can shift it into high by shutting off the machine putting it into neutral and while it is moving slamming it into high. That seems to cause it to pop into gear. The only I can think off is my idle being too high, but I have messed with that and it made no difference. It almost seems like my clutch is engaging too early but am not completely sure.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,059 Posts
So I recently purchased a 2004 magnum 330 for around 300 due to it catching fire and the wiring harness needing replaced. I have since replaced the harness now the thing runs like brand new, even got some big ol mud tires on it. But the issue that I am having is when I go to shift it into high gear it only grinds. At first I thought it was my selector gear which was broken but I replaced that and still nothing. I can shift it into high by shutting off the machine putting it into neutral and while it is moving slamming it into high. That seems to cause it to pop into gear. The only I can think off is my idle being too high, but I have messed with that and it made no difference. It almost seems like my clutch is engaging too early but am not completely sure. View attachment 153139 View attachment 153140 View attachment 153141
Welcome.gif
to the forum
Cheers.gif

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly. You will be given more advice than you could hope for.

The real shortage in this country is common sense.

·
Registered
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. Mossy Oak (Now Purple)
79 Posts
Check and make sure that the shift lever is adjusted properly, sometimes it gets to the wrong position and shifts to the wrong point. My Polaris did this, but only because the shifting was so loose it would select between gears. Or maybe your primary clutch is gone and won't let go of the belt at idle. Also, check your idle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Check and make sure that the shift lever is adjusted properly, sometimes it gets to the wrong position and shifts to the wrong point. My Polaris did this, but only because the shifting was so loose it would select between gears. Or maybe your primary clutch is gone and won't let go of the belt at idle. Also, check your idle.
The Shift lever is as good as I can get it, even low like real low rpm when I put it into low or even reverse the machine moves very slightly forward/backwards like my clutch is grabbing way too early. I will remove the clutch cover and inspect it in the later morning. Also I can put it into high if I shut it off put it in neutral and roll it slowly forward and while rolling it pop it into high, also every now and then when I stop reversing and quickly put it into High sometimes it will engage.

·
Registered
2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. Mossy Oak (Now Purple)
79 Posts
"Lueck, post: 1527457, member: 167488"]
The Shift lever is as good as I can get it, even low like real low rpm when I put it into low or even reverse the machine moves very slightly forward/backwards like my clutch is grabbing way too early. I will remove the clutch cover and inspect it in the later morning. Also I can put it into high if I shut it off put it in neutral and roll it slowly forward and while rolling it pop it into high, also every now and then when I stop reversing and quickly put it into High sometimes it will engage.
[/QUOTE]
It's the clutch then, if it's creeping forward, and your idle is that low, it is stuck engaged. I have had good luck with those cheap amazon clutches. Or go oem if you want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so it seems like the clutch is fine but if I turn the transmission by hand when I put it in high and spin it forwards it clicks like it's not grabbing but every other gear is perfect

1 - 12 of 12 Posts