Polaris ATV Forum banner

2004 polaris predator 500

6K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  al53 
#1 ·
i have a wiring problem with my predator. i recently rebuilt it and had it running excellent. one night i noticed that the brake light sensor wires had broke off and while riding the wires were touching the brake lever making the headlights flicker and spark. once i noticed i was heading back to the garage to fix the issue when the wires suddenly touched something and the quad shut off. all lights kicked off and it would not turn over. i recently purchased a cdi box hoping that was the issue and it was not it still wont do anything. the battery still has a strong charge im going to try to replace the 2 breakers or fuses. any help would be appreciated thank you.

#2 ·
also check the fusible link from the battery..its either on battery or solenoid..its a gray wire .suppose to be any ways.....you have any power thru out the bike..if so its not that....fusible link is to just that...burn out and save the harness...

Hint..dont try to add a fuse instead...it will either blow from the spike from stator when charging battery ..or if to large a amp rating fuse..it will melt your harness and not protect it...

its a 18gauge fusible link...get at napa....cut the old one off and reconct new one...shrink wrap connection..all this info if it is the link...

#4 ·
ok..I would check the fusible link first....you need a pin type test light so you can push it thru the wire insulation...you will see where its connected..one wire is gray off the battery or solenoid..it runs into a red wire...test the red wire first to see if your test light comes on...if not its the link....if it does ..you will need to start tracing the power wire and see where power ends...

this is the test light I mean incase you did not know what I was talking about
Snap on Tools 12V Test Light Circuit Tester CT4F Volt Made USA U s A 12 V | eBay

if you dont have one any parts store sells cheap ones for around 6 bucks..its a must have tool when tracing wire systems

#5 ·
al53 after i started checking the fusiable links i started checking all the wires and found that the remote return wire from the ignition switch had burnt i cut out the bad part of the wire and rewired it and i now have power and it runs thanks again man! i would not of traced back the wires if u wouldn't of suggested it.

#6 ·
cool glad you get it fixed....wiring sucks ..and Polaris has its wire gremlins.....I spent 3 hours one day tracing mine....and after I read the electrical schematic i seen the fusible link..and that was it...mine had the shrink wrap sorta crummy on it...when I opened it the wires were green with corrosion....so they burnt from being corroded and not up to the rating...

but the good thing is..your all set to ride now....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.