Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I have purchased this ATV and it was of course used well everything really important on it is fine but I need some help with some smaller stuff, ok first the air filter, it is just a round piece of Foam, should it have that kind of filter ? It has oil on it like most filters but this one is basically soaked in oil, I don’t think it suppose to be that way. Second the rear brakes are non existent I checked the brake fluid reservoir and it was empty so I need to bleed out the brake lines in the rear and I don’t know to much about that and I’m not sure if the belt is slipping or worn out but when I go WOT it takes a little while before it hits 30 or 40 not sure if it’s just a small engine on This ATV or what any help is greatly appreciated Thanks

~JD~

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
The air filter is probably correct. There might supposed to be a support piece of some kind in the middle though. Check your belt and clutches. With the age probably shot. The 400 should be enough to pull you along at 40 easily

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The air filter is probably correct. There might supposed to be a support piece of some kind in the middle though. Check your belt and clutches. With the age probably shot. The 400 should be enough to pull you along at 40 easily

Ok I will try to check on that, about the clutch and belts I’m not sure If There worn out but It does seem to take a little long to reach high speeds even though the Engine is screaming

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Something isn’t right there. Could be primary stuck or the buttons in the secondary are shot and the clutch doesn’t “shift”

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something isn’t right there. Could be primary stuck or the buttons in the secondary are shot and the clutch doesn’t “shift”

What is the belt is worn and is just slipping?
It better be cheap I just bought it from a dealer that said nothing was wrong with it

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Buyer beware! I don't know the laws in your state, but in most states there are laws that govern the 'no warranty - as is' claim - you may have a warranty, but........

Recreational vehicles may not be covered - they are for recreation, not for transportation.

If you got it for cheap, just chalk it up to early maintenance - if you paid a premium, complain to the seller that it was not up to the standard that they claimed it to be. Even better if you had someone with you at the time of purchase who heard the claim and witnessed the performance deficiency. Explore your options and choose a plan of action. Even if you bought it brand new, it doesn't run for free. The first expense is when the dealer sells you on an 'extended warranty' - in essence, you are paying a future repair before the repair is needed.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Buyer beware! I don't know the laws in your state, but in most states there are laws that govern the 'no warranty - as is' claim - you may have a warranty, but........

Recreational vehicles may not be covered - they are for recreation, not for transportation.

If you got it for cheap, just chalk it up to early maintenance - if you paid a premium, complain to the seller that it was not up to the standard that they claimed it to be. Even better if you had someone with you at the time of purchase who heard the claim and witnessed the performance deficiency. Explore your options and choose a plan of action. Even if you bought it brand new, it doesn't run for free. The first expense is when the dealer sells you on an 'extended warranty' - in essence, you are paying a future repair before the repair is needed.
Ok thanks yeah it was $1900 with 3700 miles on it, it’s a fair price for it but at the time of sale the dealer owner said “nothing is wrong with it” well stuff like the oil needs changing, out of brake fluid and needs a brake cylinder , out of coolant, and other minor stuff, I’m not happy with the dealer Iam going to give him a piece of my mind ,

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Yeah - I think I would talk to the salesman first and then the dealership owner or manager if the owner is not the manager - when I worked in a dealership, we did things right - we serviced each trade in as though the owner of the vehicle just brought it in for service before it went to the showroom floor - the vehicles we sold needed less service, less frequent service and we took care of minor repairs like broken cables, flat tires and routine adjustments for 30 days for free. Your warranty is only as good as your dealer.

·
9,194 Posts
I don't think I'd give him anything else. I'd be asking for money back. Sounds to me like you already gave him about $1500 too much.
No rear brake. Belt slipping and/or clutches needing serviced. Apparently it has a LOT wrong with it.
Its supposed to have a paper filter element with a prefilter sleeve over it like below. NO oil at all on it. It probably has an aftermarket foam filter installed that uses oil to trap dust. Some are ok. Some not so much.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok well I talked to the dealer owner he’s the one that sold it to me and he is making it right paying for the stuff that it needs, the belt looked worn and stretched so I’m going to get a new one and see if that helps, earlier I was going up the road which has a pretty steep grade but it’s a main road and I was holding it wot and it would only do 25 mph, I have it up to 5400rpm any idea how high it goes?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm I only did 5400 rpms but I was going up a hill

·
9,194 Posts
It probably needs the clutches serviced/repaired from what you describe along with at new belt. Belt wear occurs on the SIDES of the belt. Belt width is what you have to measure to tell if its worn. If the clutches don't open and close fully and smoothly the machine doesn't shift out fully.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just picked up a new belt and I’m about to head home and test it, the clutches looked fine springs were still strong didn’t look like any damage

·
9,194 Posts
Well, the clutches actually have to be taken apart to inspect them for wear but you may be ok with just a cleaning and new belt.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I inspected what I could but have not taken them off, I would have to take it in because I do not have the right tools

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: I just got the new belt installed and went for a mile night ride, I seemed to get up to speed faster, unfortunately I can’t do a top speed run but I did get up to around 40mph before I ran out of strait away, over all it seemed to go better

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And another question what kind of air filter is the best for this ATV ? I’m thinking about K&N

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Think again - K&N let's dirt into the engine, requires frequent cleaning and re-oiling with special K&N filter oil and may require rejetting of the carb for acceptable performance

Just use the stock filter and prefilter or a stock style replacement filter and prefilter

1 - 20 of 135 Posts