Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok thanks everyone for the help, I have yet another question is it bad to hold my ATV wide open throttle for very long?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok... but do these things have governors or will the engine blow up if I go wot ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The primary clutch is still smooth but has slight grooves in it, does that mean I need to replace it?

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
No governor that I am aware of - anybody else know about that?

If the clutch is smooth with no cracks, it will be OK for awhile, grooves usually indicate operation at a steady throttle for long periods (a long period may be 15 minutes at a time) - perhaps like a half mile trip to the mail box and back every day on the same route at the same speed? Operation probably will not be linear and will seemingly stay the same speed even with a change in engine speed at certain ranges of engine RPM.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Oh ok thanks you see I bought this ATV at a dealership that sells ATVs this was a trade in and when the person who worked on it after the owner traded it did not do his job right and just did the major stuff and left all the little stuff like it had very dirty oil/ transmission fluid was black/ no coolant / water in the air filter container/ worn out belt and little things like that were not taken Care of so the owner of the business fired the person who was suppose to work on it, and he gave me a new belt / crank case oil / transmission oil/ oil filter

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
So I have been doing snow plowing with it and it goes ok but it does not seem like it takes off very fast and the main road that is close by which has a steep grade for a main road but will only do 25mph when I go full throttle up it, maybe with the snow plow and my brother on the back is to much weight to go any faster up hills

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
And it also seems like when I give it the gas the rpms go up and it the ATV starts moving but acts like it’s in low range then it finally takes off like it should, feels like it’s not shifting up some times

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Yes, not designed to drag a passenger and kinda dangerous to try a speed run with the plow. Take the plow off and leave your brother at home. Then see what it will do

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Absolutely right ☝ - now that you have revealed the plow and brother I would say it's doing fine - it is not designed for a passenger and the weight of the plow is close to overloading it - how much do you weigh? What is the load limit of the machine? What tire pressure do you have? What kind and size of tires? All of these and more factor in to determine the vehicle's performance. Don't put a snow plow on a drag car and don't try to plow snow with drag slick tires. Either is just dumb. Kinda like hanging 400 pounds of weight on the front of an ATV, adding a passenger (and for good measure) pull a trailer full of firewood and go for a top speed run. In the above scenario, you would be lucky to get it to move in low range.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Absolutely right - now that you have revealed the plow and brother I would say it's doing fine - it is not designed for a passenger and the weight of the plow is close to overloading it - how much do you weigh? What is the load limit of the machine? What tire pressure do you have? What kind and size of tires? All of these and more factor in to determine the vehicle's performance. Don't put a snow plow on a drag car and don't try to plow snow with drag slick tires. Either is just dumb. Kinda like hanging 400 pounds of weight on the front of an ATV, adding a passenger (and for good measure) pull a trailer full of firewood and go for a top speed run. In the above scenario, you would be lucky to get it to move in low range.
Absolutely that does make sense , snow plows weigh from 400 to 700 lbs and my brother weighs around 155 so yeah that’s a lot of weight, anyway about my primary clutch it has a groove in it so when I start going it acts like it’s in low range (high RPMs slow speed) then it takes off like should, I’m thinking the belt is stuck in that groove until it pops out then the ATV goes like it should, after it gets up to a specific speed,

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Sorry about the bad picture but this is the primary clutch

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You might be able to make out the groove it close to the bottom kind of a shiny area

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Does anyone happen to have a PDF manual for a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 400?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
One question when my ATV is in 2wd should the front shaft spin?

21 - 40 of 135 Posts