Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2004 polaris sportsman 500 and whilei was riding it tonight i was going over some bumps not sure if thats what caused the problem but it back fired and died i let it sit for couple mins and it fired right back up? and would run fine i came to a stop and the battery light flashed but didnt stall? i was riding it someone and it died again and started? any ideas what it could be thanks

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'd go thru & check all the electrical connections for starters(un-plug, clean/grease, plug-in) then check spark plug, fuel filter, air filter etc..

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
What kind of voltage readings are you getting on your battery?? Since your battery light was flashing, this is the first place I'd start. How old is your battery?? has it been on a tender??

Do you have a keychain?? Have you adjusted the ETC/throttle free play?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ill check all plugs and clean them it says 12.4 volts not running and around 14 when running has me puzzled cuz i thought it dosnt even need a battery becuase it has pull start aswell but i guess im wrong lol i wish i did more research before i bought this atv has alot wrong with it like awd switch dosnt light up and seems to be stuck in awd lol but im sure it just something stupid and have to figure it out

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You need a battery as the machine needs to put the power somewhere. However if you choose to not use one then you will get the pleasure of replacing all the light bulbs in the quad. Many of us have been there before.

As for the turning off, do you have a key chain on your key? These are notorious for hitting the gas tank and turning off the power, that will lead to a backfire as the spark is no longer there. As for the AWD, start by draining the fluid and give it a good cleaning. Reinstall the parts, new fluid and you will be likely good for AWD. If not then you have to work through the electronics. Slow and steady will get it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts