Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any known issues with these machines. I will be buying this one used with 500 original miles. The guys is asking $3500, the machine is super clean but that is $800 over average retail. The machine looks super clean. This will be my 2nd machine mostly for my wife and hunting.

We are considering some ATV trail riding but need to look into that more.

Any info on the machine good and bad is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chas

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I sold my fathers 04 500HO and we had no issues other than normal wear and tear, but the new buyer ended up having to replace the head gasket, but we think he got the radiator covered in mud and then ran it hot. The fan may have also went out on it as we could hear the bearings grinding a bit on the fan, so make sure and run it until that kicks in. Anyway, ours had 3000+ miles on it and we sold it for $2,500, so I think they are asking too much, but if it never saw mud and is super clean than maybe as that is really low miles... I would say for sure to not pay over $3k for it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya that was my thought. They guy said the bottom dollar was $3300 so unless he comes down to 3k I am gonna walk. I will have to take a good look at the machine.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Well for $1,500 more you can get a brand new 2013 clearance machine.. My dealer here has a 2013 500HO going for $4,699.00 (plus TTL of course) Then you get it will full factory warranty and know that in 9 years you can sell it for only a couple grand less than what you paid for it, LOL!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well for $1,500 more you can get a brand new 2013 clearance machine.. My dealer here has a 2013 500HO going for $4,699.00 (plus TTL of course) Then you get it will full factory warranty and know that in 9 years you can sell it for only a couple grand less than what you paid for it, LOL!
I have to call crap on this. No way is he selling a brand new 500 for 4699. Maybe a 400? The cheapest I've seen new ones is $5500, and the margins on these things aren't very high. Unless he is selling it at a loss.

At a minimum, tell me the name of the dealer because if he is selling a new '13 500 for $4699 then I am going to come buy it right now.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I too think that is a bit high..... I'd say if it's "super clean" and only has 500 miles, than $3000-3300 would not be a fair price. I'd be a little concerned that it could use a once over, since it doesn't see many miles. Sitting isn't always a good thing either, just keep that in mind too.

But as mentioned and point it out to the seller..... that this is year end clearance time and you can pick up a brand new 2013 (9 year newer) machine for just $1800-2000 more out the door!!! So you'll have to stand firm at $3000 cash-money..... or walk. Wheelers can be found every day for sale.... you just have to watch for the good deals!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just called. They have 2 left. The out the door price (starting with the $4999) is $5693. That includes prep, del. fee, tax, title and licensing.

That is still a good deal, the best out the door price I could find this weekend here in Michigan was $5886. But it is not good enough to make me drive to Minneapolis.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya I think I might just wait it out and buy new. Those 2013's are selling pretty good right now and at good prices. I bought my 2011 brand new in 2010 and paid $5100 out the door. I don't think I will ever get that deal again on the bike but would like to get close to that. Most of the time I can buy them cheaper in PA than NY.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ya I think I might just wait it out and buy new. Those 2013's are selling pretty good right now and at good prices. I bought my 2011 brand new in 2010 and paid $5100 out the door. I don't think I will ever get that deal again on the bike but would like to get close to that. Most of the time I can buy them cheaper in PA than NY.
Just be aware, 2013 is the last year for the 500.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya I was thinking about one of those 570s. Seems like a pretty stout setup and EFI!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good luck finding a 04 sportsman 500 in Central New York for under $3000, I just picked up a 04 500 a couple of weeks ago and paid $3400, there is people selling older sportsman 500's for around the 3 grand price. used wheeler prices around here are sky high, I have seen many 12 or 13 500's that are used going for what they paid for them or higher .

My 04 sportsman 500 has the camo graphics on it along with front and rear racks and bumpers, also has brand new tires on all 4 corners. it's in mint condition with 1800 miles. Dealers are not even budging much on price on the 13's around here. I sold my 02 sportsman 400 for $2500 a couple of days before I got the sportsman 500. Got my 02 sportsman 400 in May and paid $2100 and sold it 2 weeks ago for $2500 lol.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts