Polaris ATV Forum banner

2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin maintenance

19K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  dwdamitman 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, I just purchased a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 twin from a friend of mine (my first ATV) and would like some pointers/direction as to proper maintenance. I know for a fact that:
1) Needs a new battery
2) The fuel has been sitting in the tank for the last 1-1.5 years. It smells like gas should, so that seems like a good thing.

I got the service manual, and have read through the maintenance section, and just want to make sure I do the correct steps before I fire it up for the first time.

1) remove/dispose of fuel from tank
2) remove fuel from carb
3) change fuel filter
4) clean carb
5) change oil/filter
6) change transmission lubricant
7) change spark plugs
8) Air filter
9) check/top off coolant

I believe that this is fuel injected, do I need to clean/maintain any other parts. Is it possible to remove the fuel from the fuel lines? I just want to make sure that I am starting off on a good footing. I know that I am a newbie, especially with maintenance, so any pointers would be helpful! thank you!

-Greg

See less See more
#4 ·
@russ where would it say 70-0 efi?
@galehawkins it shows 701 miles on it.

I haven't even attempted to start it up due to the gas being in there for over a year. I figured it was better to get its fluids changed before starting them up. Is this the wrong assumption?

#8 ·
Does it run fine now? If so, I'd just siphen out the gas and pour in new. Then add the recommended dose of "SeaFoam" to the tank. That should keep your fuel system clean. I usually try to mix a splash of SeaFoam into my gas cans and small engine equipment every fill..... and a can every few months or before a long trip in the Truck and SUV (daily drivers).

As for the rest of the maintenance items you mentioned sounds good..... I always like to change oil, oil filter, clean or replace air filter, front diff fluid, rear diff/tranny fluid and check the brake and anti-freeze levels (top off if needed). It's always a good idea to check all lights, switches, kill switches, levers for propper operation, grease any drive line / suspension zerks and check the tire psi. If you really want to hit all the high points.... It's also a good idea to clean the clutches (scotch-brite the sheaves, blow out with a compressed air gun and wipe down with rubbing alcohol) and inspect the belt (or replace it and keep the removed one as an "emergency spare").

And last but not least..... Ride and Enjoy!!!

#13 ·
Check your fuel lines on this model. There was a recall years ago.

EDIT: I forgot it was the throttle cable routing.

EDIT2: Wrong again.. it was both.

" The throttle cable may bind when the handlebars are turned full left or full right, resulting in an increase in engine speed and unintended vehicle acceleration. In addition, the fuel line may rub against the vehicle chassis, resulting in a fuel line leak which could be a fire hazard."

CPSC, Polaris Industries Announce Recall of ATVs | CPSC.gov

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.