Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
trying to figure if there is a certain way about removing the retaining on the axle on the sprocket side. I noticed the sprocket has some side to side play in it and i would like to check out the tightness of the axle nut which I hear is under that sleeve and held on by the retaining clip just to the right of the sleeve. I’d like to get a look at the sprocket hub splines and axle splines the sprocket hub fits on. I have the right rear wheel off, the sprocket guard and the sprocket trying to get better access/leverage at the retaining clip which seems to be a real bear to get off. I can get one part of the clip opening up on the axle but am having trouble holding that while getting at the other opening. Just wondering if there’s a trick to get at it better like on the brake disc side with tightening the nut to slide it more towards the disc to get at that clip. Thanks.

·
Administrator
18,797 Posts
The manual is not much help
Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Font Engineering

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number

Eyebrow Vertebrate Organ Black Mammal

As a mechanic, you are supposed to be able to figure it out - I generally use snap ring pliers to spread the c-clip a little and use an old screwdriver that I sharpened to make a scraper/wedge and use it to get behind the ring - with one end of the ring out of the groove, I use a regular screwdriver to walk the ring out of the groove.

Good luck

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. The C clip is a real bear, I’ll keep at it. There shouldn’t be any issues with putting the same size snap ring instead of the C clip for future repairs to make it easier correct?

·
Administrator
18,797 Posts
I believe the groove in the axle is radiused instead of square cut - a standard flat snap ring will not stay in place.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. When you refer to walking the clip out, are you saying around the axle radially or to the side toward the rear wheel?

·
Administrator
18,797 Posts
Start at one end of the clip, pry it away from the lock collar towards the wheel end of the axle and walk radially around the axle progressively working the ring out of it's groove from one end to the other. Putting it back on is easy with a piece of pipe and a hammer or block of wood used as a hammer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Latebird. I got the clip out of the groove. My next question is should the sprocket hub slide off easily on the 2004? I watching something on a 2000, it appears there’s a retaining ring like a sleeve that goes over the nut then exposes the sprocket hub, 2 pieces. Mine appears to be one piece the sleeve and sprocket hub together.

·
Administrator
18,797 Posts
I can't say for sure - I haven't worked on one for over 10 years and they all come apart with differing degrees of difficulty.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The thing I watched is similar to the diagram you sent the very last picture #4. I’m kind of wandering if something just put one on there from a different machine. The way it sits, with it jacked up in the rear grab both rear wheels and push it side to side there play in the axle. I stumbled upon this due to finding the sprocket studs just kept spinning and not being able to tighten or loosening them. The splines of the studs were almost worn down and the inner splines of the sprocket hub that bolt goes thru are totally gone. Someone actually tried to weld the sprocket bolts on the sprocket so they would stay. It almost seems my last resort is to try and beat off the sprocket hub.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hopefully this is my last questions on the subject. The axles that Polaris uses are Polaris specific? Since the sprocket and brake disc are inverse from other manufacturers. As far as the sprocket hub, there has to be some sort of nut holding it on correct? It does have some side to side play the way it sits right now with the retaining clip out of the groove. If you would put a flat blade screwdriver between the sprocket hub and the bearing carrier and pry it to the right wheel the play is seen, the play is the axle moving side to side in the carrier. I cannot see how the sprocket hub on this machine is to come off, it appears to be all one piece, not like the pictures in manuals with the retaining sleeve that slides over the axle nut. The whole reason i came across this is because the snap ring on the front sprocket sheared off while riding and the front sprocket came off. I then found the issue with the rear sprocket studs being free spinning due to the splines of the sprocket hub being totally worn out. It appears as of now that the only way to get the sprocket hub off is to hammer it off, but I would hate to damage something as a result, like I mentioned there is play but if there wasn’t an axle nut under there it would be totally loose correct, but I’m not seeing how it comes apart. Lastly if the axle does come out of the carrier do the bearings need replaced as a result or can the axle go back in? I was told by the previous owner that the bearings were just replaced but I’m thinking there were previous issues of the same and someone shoehorned it back together enough to sell it so the next owner wouldn’t be the wiser while test driving it around the neighborhood before buying it. I know this is a long text and all over the place but I’m new to Polaris and just don’t know but willing to learn. Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was incorrect on the year of the trailblazer, the guy I bought it from said it was a 2004, after checking the VIN it’s a 2006. Looking at a parts breakdown chart of the rear housing like on partzilla.com, it does not show an axle nut with the sleeve that slides over the nut. Just the sprocket hub and retaining ring, so I’m assuming it has to slide off the axle to the right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts