Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having some power and starting issues with my son's 2004 Predator 50. I am pretty sure that I need to buy a stator.

I finally was able to borrow a compression checker from my father inlaw. The compression came in around 85. The shop manual says it should be between 110 -130. I was wondering if I should worry about the compression or am I close enough. Also what would people recommend to get the compression up to the proper reading.

Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
85 psi is alittle low I would think a set of rings would help alot.The low compression will give you lack of power and hard starting.Two stokes need good rings to suck the fuel mixture in to make it run right.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It won't run at 85 unless you crank it over with the electric start for about 5 min and screw with it for the whole time. Then it will barely run anyway. Time to do a top end. Did you use the kick start to check compression? Full throttle and 3 good kicks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I was using the kick start with full throttle. It took probably 5 to 7 kicks to get to the final reading.

So from the comments above, is a set of rings the right way to go? Is there anything else that I should do?

Thanks for all the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts