Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just picked up a 2004 predator and am having some problems getting it running. Already replaced ignition coil and kill switch assembly. I tested all kill switches, including the brake button so the starter can engage, and am still not getting it to crank on a jump pack. I also tested the relay and am getting a resistance level of 90 ohms, which according to my research means it should be able to operate fine. Regardless of whether or not the electric start is working, I am still not getting spark. I saw something about the white and blue wire going to the coil needing a ground. I tested it and am getting a reading of 9 ohms, shouldn't it read 0? I even shot starter fluid into the cylinder with the spark plug out, put it back in, and when kicked over, I didn't even get a pop out of it. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Electrical problems are a headache and I've spent the last 3 hours tinkering with it in the cold, I am about ready to try and get rid of it.

· Administrator
20,026 Posts
Electrical problems are simple if you have the correct tools to perform the required tests and are aware that the cheap Chinese parts do not perform as the OEM parts do. Therefore if you bought a used vehicle that the previous owner 'TRIED' to fix, then the problems are compounded. I have the tools and experience to fix it and can tell you that if the vehicle has been cobbled on and has Amazon parts on it, it would cost about $500 in parts and labor to get it cranking and have spark, then the question is, is the engine in a condition to run.

Now even with a service manual, you should have a working knowledge of Chinese wiring.

My advice: unless you are a veteran mechanic with a background in electronics, don't buy a vehicle that does not run or has any electrical gremlins - they will show up soon enough on a running vehicle. At least with a running vehicle, you have a degree of assurance that it will run again if the malfunction is remedied.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts