Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all! I have an 04 sportsman 400 that just decimated a battery. I thought it was only the battery and replaced it but lo and behold, the battery indicator started flashing again the next time I rode it.
After charging up the brand new battery I cranked it up and checked voltage on the battery and was getting 11.5 volts with a slight increase when I revved the engine, but not enought o bring it back up to 12 volts.
I then tried the old stator/alternator test by disconnecting the positive terminal while it was running. It promptly died.
Now the question is whether it's the voltage regulator or the stator.
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
my guess is the stator

typically when the volt. reg. goes out you see a high spike in volts in the system that constantly varies, and you will often blow headlight bulbs out too

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
What part of Idaho are you from, and welcome to the board!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I'm from Mountain Home, absolutely great place for riding!
Looks like I'll be looking to replace a stator soon.
Any good aftermarket vendors out there that you folks would recommend? The $400 OEM sounds a little overpriced to me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Give dbelectric a call. http://www.dbelectrical.com
Prices are right. My twin lives in MH. I agree about it being great for riding especially the Danskins. See you on the trail this summer.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 04 700 is doing the same thing. Just spent $140 on a new battery and today, it toasted it. Hoping I can save it because I'm not rich. Spent another $150 on a Stator just based off this thread. Hoping I can switch it out, charge the battery, and go riding this weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.:dunno:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts