Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, i am fairly new to the atv world. I recently purchased a 2004 sportman 400 and it needed some work. I have it mostly finished but i have no idea where the frame/engine ground cable connects. If anyone has any idea where this cable goes on this four wheeler I would greatly appreciate it and put you in my prayers. A pic. would be excellent if anyone has one. I know it is located above the water pump but unsure exactly where it is suppose to go, Thanks all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey my friend i have 2004 polaris sportman 500 4x4 I can help you with that But also i need your help with mine I need solenoid wiring pic If you can definitely i can help you just send me a pic.! Of what you need

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
11,261 Posts
Hello all, i am fairly new to the atv world. I recently purchased a 2004 sportman 400 and it needed some work. I have it mostly finished but i have no idea where the frame/engine ground cable connects. If anyone has any idea where this cable goes on this four wheeler I would greatly appreciate it and put you in my prayers. A pic. would be excellent if anyone has one. I know it is located above the water pump but unsure exactly where it is suppose to go, Thanks all.
If its a ground just put it under any bolt that's convenient. I think they often are under one of the starter mounting bolts.

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Hey my friend i have 2004 polaris sportman 500 4x4 I can help you with that But also i need your help with mine I need solenoid wiring pic If you can definitely i can help you just send me a pic.! Of what you need

Solenoid wiring is easy - cable to starter motor goes on one terminal and the battery cable and accessory wires go on the other terminal - the terminated wires attached to the solenoid plug into the wiring harness

·
Registered
6 Posts

Solenoid wiring is easy - cable to starter motor goes on one terminal and the battery cable and accessory wires go on the other terminal - the terminated wires attached to the solenoid plug into the wiring harness

See this picture I put arrows So you can see how is mine but Is not working I replace for a new solenoid and i put the cables And works few times and no crank Now The cable with question mark for some reason Is turning the fan on So i put the switch cable on battery And now i have power but no crank But if i put the Screw driver Battery to starter The stater works Can you wrote a pic. How is the way supposed to go Just to put it back the way you tell me and exclude That Am the 3rd owner And the previous owner Wire the solenoid but i don’t know he did the right way thanks here is the picture

·
Registered
3 Posts
I need help my sons 07 sportsman 450 all the sudden won’t start. No power at all. I noticed a small black wire broken off near the battery. Any clue?

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
I need help my sons 07 sportsman 450 all the sudden won’t start. No power at all. I noticed a small black wire broken off near the battery. Any clue?
Nope - there is no black wire near the battery from the factory, so it is probably an added accessory wire installed by a novice or it is a repair made by Micky Mouse and it is up to the mechanic to determine it's use. It is possible a previous owner trying to save a dime, replaced the fusible link between the red chassis power wire and the battery lead on the solenoid with a piece of standard wire. If you can find what the wire broke off of, touch it together and see what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nope - there is no black wire near the battery from the factory, so it is probably an added accessory wire installed by a novice or it is a repair mad by Micky Mouse and it is up to the mechanic to determine it's use. It is possible a previous owner trying to save a dime, replaced the fusible link between the red chassis power wire and the battery lead on the solenoid with a piece of standard wire. If you can find what the wire broke off of, touch it together and see what happens.
Yeah I tried that. The wire runs under the seat up to the front under the fender and connects to a round solenoid looking type of thing and then the same exact type of black wire runs from that to the switch on the left side of the handle bars.

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
The pic doesn't help much - try lifting the boot off the terminal the heavy battery lead that is on the solenoid - touch the black wire to the battery cable - if it arcs like a welder, then that is not where it goes - if nothing happens, turn the key on and touch it - if it arcs a little and the lights come on, then that is the chassis power wire and it needs to be repaired and attached to the battery terminal.

·
11,261 Posts
Yeah I tried that. The wire runs under the seat up to the front under the fender and connects to a round solenoid looking type of thing and then the same exact type of black wire runs from that to the switch on the left side of the handle bars.
That description ^^ sounds like a hot wire for a winch contactor??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts