Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Initial Issue:
after an electronic start I had a high pitch sound. A noise I had never heard before. I was in the field and I immediately trailered the ATV. After reading advice from this forum, I replaced the battery(needed replacing), and cleaned the connections to the solenoid. I still had a no electronic start, but it would pull start. After the pull start, there was no high pitch noise, just the normal purring sounds of a 14 year old machine.. I replaced the solenoid with a cheap $12 replacement. It worked and I thought the problem was resolved until..... About 20 starts!

Issue Reappearance:
I started the ATV this weekend and the noise had reappeared. I was again out in the field but I shut turned off the ATV. After that it would not electronic start. I can pull start and jump the solenoid and the engine purrs... Still have good voltage from the battery.

My questions..
1) Based on this info has my solenoid failed again? If so, are there recommendations for this part that I can purchase that will last longer than 20 starts?
2) Am I barking up the wrong tree? Could it be the ignition or something else?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone???
I did end up ordering a Polaris OME part # 4011335. I hope this resolves my issue and I hope I get more than 20 starts from it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Polman500, I agree. I should clarify that the high pitch sound was coming from the area of the starter. My assessment since the starter works fine when bypassing the solenoid that the solenoid is sticky or flaking out causing the starter gear to engage. Perhaps the primary problem is a flakey starter. However, the current issue is that I cannot start it electronically through the solenoid. I believe my issue to be, solenoid, ignition switch, or starter. BTW, The link you provided did not work for me.. I will figure that out, but thanks for providing I needed that catalog.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Yep, your issue is in the starting system. You need to get a volt meter or test light and start diagnosing the problem. You need to have battery voltage at the battery side of the solenoid all the time. Then battery voltage on the starter side of the solenoid when you try to start it. Then battery voltage at the starter when you try to start the machine. If you don't at any of those places then disconnect the part and check again. Battery voltage at the starter wire with it disconnected indicates a bad starter.

And the solenoid will just click, the other sounds probably mean the starter or starter drive is stuck/bad. Pull the drain plug on the bottom of the pull start cover and see what comes out. They get water inside and can corrode stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts