Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at an 04 sportsman 500 EFI with 1300 miles on it. It has a good working 2500 lb winch and after market rims with the stock rims as well. Both sets of rims have tires that are in good shape. It has been used for hunting, trail riding, and general use around the house. (No plowing) Everything is working as it should and has been serviced properly. Very clean looking. He was asking 4100 and I offered 3500. He said he needed 3900 and I asked if he would consider 3700. He agreed. Should I pull the trigger as used machines seem to be holding good value here in MI.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
He's nuts a 4100, a brand new 400 (455, 3 less hp than the 500HO) is only about 5 grand OTD.

To be honest a machine like that around here would be worth $3500 MAX. If they hold their value in your area 3700 sounds decent.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Me neither. A new 400 would be the way to go. I have bought two of them in 2012 and so far they have been bullet proof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice. It looks like I will hold off until the right deal come around.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
You can check the book value here...
Official Kelley Blue Book New Car and Used Car Prices and Values

Click on 'Motorcycles....then you fill in your zip code and go to the make/year/etc. I used my zip and got 2445 for a trade in value and 3585 for a retail price.
You can use your zip to get values for your local area and then print it out and show it to him....he might come down to a price you can both live with.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I just paid $2300 for an '08 500 HO EFI with 2000 miles. Well used and needed a few things, but it runs great and was maintained well. Probably needs about $250 in parts - rear brake caliper, wheel bearing, and tie rod ends.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
There wan an anniversary edition Sportsman 500 here (don't remember the year exactly but was the 04-10 body style) that had something like 80 miles on it and 3 hours. MINT. Chrome rims, chrome rack extenders, special upholstered seat, was honestly one of the sharpest looks Sportsman's Ive seen and the dealer was asking $3,390. Called on it the next day and it had sold shortly after I left. You can hold off for better deal.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I bought my 08 500HO EFI with front & rear bumpers, rack extenders, 2500# winch with 2xhrs 2xxmi in mint condition for $4500 in 2010 so there are better deals out there

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think that's a good deal, and I live in Michigan. These machines are more expensive in Michigan. If I were you I'd buy it. But if you have time to shop around, look in Ohio because they tend to run a couple hundred less. I bought an 06 polaris 500ho in 2010 for 5 grand. The quad had 50 miles and 3 hours or something like that. Anyway I think it's a good price.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
What's the NADA book value on it for your zip code..... and for some reason in the midwest (ND, MN, WI, IA, WI, MI, ect) add $100-500 onto that!! :wtf:

If it is super clean, low miles and the rest of the property looked good/well kept.... I would pay the $3700. Now, on the other hand a new 2013-2014 Sportsman 400 (455cc & 5hp less then the 500cc) should be OTD for about $5200'ish. So the asking price for a 2006 (8 year old machine) for $4100 is a little silly when a brand new one can be had for $1000-1200 more. But a budget is and can be a budget!

When I was looking for our second machine (wife's) last year, I too found it funny how much used machines went for. Ended up with a super clean 2005 Sportsman 400 (425cc) in the color blue (was a search criteria of the wife's..... don't laugh!), #2500 Warn winch, brand new plow and a nice set of rims/tires for an asking price of $4700..... Ended up they were going on a Disney trip and wanted the coin, so I scored it for $4100 and sold the plow system for $300.... so basically $3700. And yes the property was very nice and clean/ well kept.... so you can assume all of his things are USUALLY!!

So long story short.... the 2006 Sportsman 500 EFI in MI for $3700, isn't too bad of deal. But a better deal may come along. But it sounds good to me if it all "checks out"!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't like that blue book. I looked up my other quad, 08 sportsman 500ho, the day after I bought it and it said it was worth 1500-2000 less than I payed for it. It was used, 2500lb polaris wench, 54 in polaris plow, bumpers and rack extenders front and rear, and I payed 5300 back in 2011 and it had 450 miles.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It really depends on the condition of the machine and how much you are looking to spend. It sounds like this one comes with some extras like the winch and tires. All of these things cost $$ if you have to add them later. I just bought an 07 500 EFI Deluxe for $3300 but it needed some work. The blue book value can give you a ballpark idea but it seems like around here in upstate NY that any Sportsman no matter how old they are people are asking 3000 and up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
After reading your description of the machine again I think it sounds like a solid deal. An 06 EFI 500 and it has good tires(big $$) and comes with a spare set of rims and tires too? You could sell one set if you wanted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Couple days ago, I bought an 04 Sportsman 500, has 900 miles, 220 hours. Seller had a dealer go through it, which cost him $700. Came with a faring, 2,500 winch, upgraded bumpers, suspension, new battery, belt, fluids and filters changed for $2,900. This was in Southern WI.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Couple days ago, I bought an 04 Sportsman 500, has 900 miles, 220 hours. Seller had a dealer go through it, which cost him $700. Came with a faring, 2,500 winch, upgraded bumpers, suspension, new battery, belt, fluids and filters changed for $2,900. This was in Southern WI.
Wow..... that sounds like a good deal right there! Did he have the dealer bill for your piece of mind, or did you have to take his word for it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wow..... that sounds like a good deal right there! Did he have the dealer bill for your piece of mind, or did you have to take his word for it?
Yes, he had the bill with the matching vin, just picked it up the same day. He was a very decent guy, didn't want to sell it with any problems.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts