Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2004 sportsman 500 has no power to it at all the headlights, tail light, and speedometer all dont work. I got a new battery for it yesterday and charged it fully so I'm pretty sure it's not the battery. Any ideas on what it could be? Maybe a circuit breaker? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
When you try to start it do you hear a click-does the starter engage? If its simply no power to the lights(bulbs) have you tried a new bulb? I learned the hard way what happens when you don t have a battery in a sportsman and run it...It blew every dam bulb there was including the indicator lamps Just my two cents worth....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you try to start it do you hear a click-does the starter engage? If its simply no power to the lights(bulbs) have you tried a new bulb? I learned the hard way what happens when you don t have a battery in a sportsman and run it...It blew every dam bulb there was including the indicator lamps Just my two cents worth....

It doesn't make any noise at all when I try and start it. I unfortunately don't have a new bulb. It's been awhile since it's been running, because of a carburetor issue and I didn't have the money/time to fix it. I'm now in the process of trying to get it back up and running, bought a new carb, spark plug, battery, fluids, and air filter. Now I have run into this problem. Thanks

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I would start by checking the circut breaker, then the key switch and the start button switch then solenoid . You dont have the slide switch turned off instead of run do you?

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
Fuses???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would start by checking the circut breaker, then the key switch and the start button switch then solenoid . You dont have the slide switch turned off instead of run do you?

I will check those out, any idea where the circuit breaker may be? Some models have shown little bags that they're enclosed in but I've looked pretty hard and haven't seen anything like that with mine. I've made sure the run switch is on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't make any noise at all when I try and start it. I unfortunately don't have a new bulb. It's been awhile since it's been running, because of a carburetor issue and I didn't have the money/time to fix it. I'm now in the process of trying to get it back up and running, bought a new carb, spark plug, battery, fluids, and air filter. Now I have run into this problem. Thanks
I will check those out, any idea where the circuit breaker may be? Some models have shown little bags that they're enclosed in but I've looked pretty hard and haven't seen anything like that with mine. I've made sure the run switch is on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've read that the breaker for 2004's is inside the ecm (electronic control module) and not accessible..and that if anything goes wrong with it you have to replace the whole unit??

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Let's start at the beginning - when did you first lose power? Prior to installing the new battery or after?

BTW, the 04 500 has a circuit breaker (not part of the ECM) and a fusible link, but we need to check other things before even considering either as a potential problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let's start at the beginning - when did you first lose power? Prior to installing the new battery or after?

BTW, the 04 500 has a circuit breaker (not part of the ECM) and a fusible link, but we need to check other things before even considering either as a potential problem.
It's been sitting for a couple years because of a carburetor issue so the previous battery went bad, I got a new battery, put it on and noticed there was no power to the headlights and speedometer, and there's no click at the solenoid. The battery is fully charged and all connections are good at the battery. I checked it with a meter and it is reading 12 volts. Ok i'm still on the search for the circuit breaker but i did find the fusible link.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I guess I should have asked - do you have a early or late production 500? Early used all 6 pins on the key switch - late only used 4 pins on the key switch, on either, run a wire with a 10 amp fuse in it from the battery positive to the red/blk wire at the key switch - that should power things up and we'll just have to figure out why it's not getting from the battery to the chassis wiring.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I should have asked - do you have a early or late production 500? Early used all 6 pins on the key switch - late only used 4 pins on the key switch, on either, run a wire with a 10 amp fuse in it from the battery positive to the red/blk wire at the key switch - that should power things up and we'll just have to figure out why it's not getting from the battery to the chassis wiring.
It is a late 2004 model, yeah it has 4 pins on the key switch. Run a wire from somewhere on the quad or just any wire with a 10 amp fuse?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Get a piece of wire with a 10 amp fuse installed in line - connect one end to the pos term of the battery and the other to the red/blk wire at the key switch

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We were able to power everything up once we connected a wire from the battery to the key switch. Headlights, brake/tail lights, speedometer, and got it to crank over. But we noticed that the spark plug boot isn't getting a spark. Maybe the PCM or stator is bad?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Not getting spark is a separate problem, but we'll check it out.

Now, you have confirmed that you are not getting power to the key switch, but everything else is good. Now find out why power from the battery is not getting to the key switch.

Do you have 12v+ on the red wire at the rec/reg? If not, the fusible link between the battery wire on the solenoid and the red wire of the wiring harness is probably burned out, or the chassis power wire in on the wrong side of the solenoid. When you get power to the red wire at the key switch, we'll tackle the no spark issue.

On second thought, when you ran the wire from the battery to the red/blk wire at the key switch; was the wiring harness still plugged into the switch? If yes, turn the switch on and with power connected to the red/blk wire you should now be able to start the engine.

The key switch has three functions:
1) in the off position it connects the blk wire to the brown wire (brown is ground and black is the ignition kill - connect black to brown and the engine dies - if the blk wire shorts to ground anywhere, spark goes away)
2) in the on position it connects red to red/blk to provide power to the chassis
3) in the start position it connects the red/wht to the wht/red to close the solenoid and make the starter motor run

Hope this is not too much info at one time - get power on the red wire at the key switch and let me know what you found as the problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We determined two things 1. Is that the kill switch is bad, saw in some other forums about disconnecting the black wire from the cdi unit and seeing if there's a spark after doing that so we tried that and got a spark, meaning the kill switch is bad. 2. Is that there's power going into the cdi box but possibly not out of it. A new cdi box is pretty cheap so I ordered one to see if that does the trick. Thanks

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
We determined two things 1. Is that the kill switch is bad, saw in some other forums about disconnecting the black wire from the cdi unit and seeing if there's a spark after doing that so we tried that and got a spark, meaning the kill switch is bad. 2. Is that there's power going into the cdi box but possibly not out of it. A new cdi box is pretty cheap so I ordered one to see if that does the trick. Thanks
If you got spark the CDI box is fine!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you got spark the CDI box is fine!

Even with the black wire disconnected from it? We weren't getting any spark with it connected, disconnected it and we got a spark right away. So that means it could be the kill switch? I knew it was a gamble but with the price of it it was worth a shot. I can either return it for free or keep it for the future lol.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts