Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have done numerous research on this forum but could not find anything with the same issues I have. Everything works on my speedo other than the needle itself and the miles. AWD does work. I was riding the quad and my speedo needle began to jump from 0-10. I put it in reverse and the quad shut down. Started it back up and the quad would go in reverse with the override button pressed. Also, with the needle jumping, it began to count the trip miles as well. 24 hours later I started it back up and the needle no longer jumps, but the needle does move and it does not calculate the trip miles any longer. Should I replace the wheel sensor?

Thanks

·
8,739 Posts
Can't say for sure but sounds like it may be the Hall sensor. I had one a couple years ago that would SOMETIMES jump around in reverse and when it did it had no AWD in reverse and the override wouldn't work. Everything was normal in D. Replacing the sensor fixed all issues.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
^^^^^Agreed. Sounds like the Hall sensor.

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having a similar issue with mine as well.. 2001 sportsman 500 HO

speedo lights up but the needle and miles no longer work. AWD works great in D but in R it doesn't work unless I use the override button. Do you think my issue may be with the Hall effect sensor as well?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Steve_mac it sounds like the speed sensor is your problem. Having to use override button is how it should work. It's a safety system so you can't go full power and lock up AWD untill u hold button. Some people will eliminate it but it's better to leave it alone if it's working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Steve_mac it sounds like the speed sensor is your problem. Having to use override button is how it should work. It's a safety system so you can't go full power and lock up AWD untill u hold button. Some people will eliminate it but it's better to leave it alone if it's working.
I'll definitely look into the Speed sensor. Do you think cleaning it would help or should I just replace it ?

·
Registered
237 Posts
No Needle, no odometer, everything else works in the pod

Just wondering if you resolved the problem. My 08 500 EFI started doing something similar today. My needle stopped working, the odo doesn't rack up miles but all the other electronics work, except ADC, because it won't work without the speedo anyway.

Hi all,

I have done numerous research on this forum but could not find anything with the same issues I have. Everything works on my speedo other than the needle itself and the miles. AWD does work. I was riding the quad and my speedo needle began to jump from 0-10. I put it in reverse and the quad shut down. Started it back up and the quad would go in reverse with the override button pressed. Also, with the needle jumping, it began to count the trip miles as well. 24 hours later I started it back up and the needle no longer jumps, but the needle does move and it does not calculate the trip miles any longer. Should I replace the wheel sensor?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 04 600 cluster all works but the speedo needle don't move. I had the quad on jacks stands and put in gear and at slow speed the rear tires turn and then when i rev more all 4 turn fine. I put it in 4wd and all 4 turn just fine and when i ride it seems okay but no speedo needle moving. Can I clean the wheel sensor maybe? I can't find a new on online anywhere under $65

How can I test for it? Can I just drive it and see if the mileage goes up and then if it does just replace the hall sensor or will that test not be good enough?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts