Polaris ATV Forum banner

2004 Sportsman 500 running hot

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Amused2Deth 
#1 ·
I went to the dunes with some buddies last fall. After riding for about an hour, my carb had problems. It would idle, but that's all. Any load on the engine and it would bog out. I limped it back to the trailer using the choke. I tore the carb apart and cleaned it. After putting it back together it only ran so-so. This spring it happened again. It will only run just above an idle. Any more throttle and it bogs out. This last weekend I cleaned the carb again. It now revs up fine, but when you let off the throttle it dies. When it is running about 3500 rpm, it still sputters like it is not running clean. I also noticed it gets very hot, very quick. I direct-wired the fan so it runs all the time but it is still hot. Any ideas for a fix?

#2 ·
You're cleaning the carb that often? I put a third of a can of Sea Foam in my tank every time I fill it and it keeps it clean. Never had to take mine apart. Mine used to get hot a lot when I first got it, so I tested the antifreeze and it was off so I took some out and added water while it was running to mix it. Tested it and it's good. It's been good ever since. Maybe the gas filter is clogged? Just a few ideas. Let us know if you fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.