Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone new here. Looking at a 2004 sportsman tomorrow. Owner claims he was out riding it one day and the head gasket puked and that’s it. He’s asking $1600 but I was thinking more around $1000 ideally.

Is there anything to look out for otherwise? I noticed the gauge cluster is missing. Looks like the kill switch/start and stop is wired into the front plastics. Thanks

·
Registered
14,006 Posts
It's a 17 year old POS - how does the seller know it's a bad head gasket? Maybe it threw a rod.

There are two head gaskets available depending on the build date - what's it's build date?

My rule is: if I can't start it and ride it, it's for parts only offer him $500 to get it out of his way - you are going to put $1500 in it to fix it because it will need more than a head gasket. Probably needs a battery, carb serviced and you already know the wiring is screwed. That's the kind of machine powersportsnation buys to part out.

WALK AWAY unless you know you can fix it yourself and you are prepared to fix the other problems (like the transmission, clutches, belt and cooling system) because if you cant ride it, it's just a pile of parts!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts