Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 04 Sportsman 700 twin with EFI.

I just put a new front diff and new battery in it. i rode it about 18 miles, then it started acting up when it was cold out, but now it does it just randomly. It feels as if it has an engine govener on it? It will be riding along fine, then it will get a slight miss and have basically NO power. It tops out at about 20 mph and cant even make it up a hill. Then it will start to run fine again and have plenty of power. I bought it needing the batt and diff so havn't ridden it much. It didnt do this for the first 18-20 miles though but the 5-10 i've ridden it after that it has.

The check engine light also comes and goes if that makes a difference.

I'm guessing fuel or elecltronic, but have NOOOO idea where to start? Any help or ideas at all please guys? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any ideas on where to start guys? Any common re-occuring issues with this model that could point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I would start by checking the fuel pressure when its acting up. There is a test port on the right hand side of the fuel rail. 39-41 psi is what you want.

·
Registered
160 Posts
does it have a fuel filter? how about the spark plug gaps? might need new plugs as well?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Check you coil and coil wires, I was running of one cylinder some times when I went into deep water. Took the side cover off and noticed one of the coil wires was arching off the valve cover. I used some heat shrink and wrapped it in electrical tape, al is good now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great ideas! As soon as I get time i intend to put new plugs in and check all the above mentioned! If that fails, i may just have to sell it im not sure yet. I dont have time/money/knowledge to get too in depth with it unfortunately.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts