Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys...... i know the first answer i get back will be that it is that the bike is just over heating because of a mud clogged rad.....

let me assure you that i have had the entire front end off the bike to make sure that the rad is clean, and it is spotless. that being said, i took the bike for a ride today to see if i had figured out the problem i was having, and the bike overheated on clear rail bed trail within 15 minutes and then took 10 minutes to cool. i started to ride again thinking it may have been a fluke, but this time i only got 5 min out of it... with the same 10 minute cooling stop.

what i am thinking this could be is either a problem with the thermostat not opening enough if at all, or a problem with the sensor. i pray to god that it is not the damn water pump....would be extremely expensive if i am not mistaken?

any help that you guys could possibly give me would be greatly appreciated!

Andrew

**edit** think i have it figured out....took the rad cap off and it started shooting coolant all over the driveway with power......i may be wrong but compared to other posts this sounds like a head gasket.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes it could be your head gasket, however coolant will shoot out underpressure if it is overheated.
Other possibilities are that there is a air pocket in the cooling system (not allowing the coolant throughout the engine block)
Also as you said the thermostat stuck closed or water pump failure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
either way i have it in at the shop for diagnostics.....cause there are just too many possibilities for me to figure it out....so i figure let the pros have it and maybe i can get this problem figured out...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Let us know what caused the overheating problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
for sure...haven't heard anything back yet, but as soon as i find out i will post it on here....maybe even pics if i can find the camera :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have an 04 600 SP that is over heating---coolant is coming out of the overflow/recovery bottle after prolonged plowing. I do not get a overheat indicator lamp however (if there is one). The radiator is free from mud/dirt and the quad is mainly used in the winter. I only operate in low range and this is the first year this has happened so it kind of has me stumped.

The first time this occurred I refilled the radiator and started the motor to get the coolant circulated and to top everything off in case of air pockets. This worked until the next good snow fall and extended use in deep snow---6"-10" approx.

Anyone else having similar issues?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have you put an aftermarket filter on the bike???? say a K/N or anything like that?

i found out that my bike has been running really lean cause i had put a K/N on it, and never thought to check the jetting of the bike to even things back out. surprised i haven't really hurt my bike doing some of the things that i have been doing while its been running this way lol.

another thing that would really cause overheating is exhaust, getting an aftermarket free flow exhaust could cause the overheating.

Andrew

·
Registered
50 Posts
have you put an aftermarket filter on the bike???? say a K/N or anything like that?

i found out that my bike has been running really lean cause i had put a K/N on it, and never thought to check the jetting of the bike to even things back out. surprised i haven't really hurt my bike doing some of the things that i have been doing while its been running this way lol.

another thing that would really cause overheating is exhaust, getting an aftermarket free flow exhaust could cause the overheating.

Andrew

Bone stock 600.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmm.....i honestly have no idea, 1 more idea to check, you may want to pull out the thermostat and check that with the good ol boiling water. other than that i have no idea. sorry i can't help ya much more:dong:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Is your fan working?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, everything appears to working correctly---maybe I'm just working it to hard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
for sure...haven't heard anything back yet, but as soon as i find out i will post it on here....maybe even pics if i can find the camera :p
New to this forum: I'm having a similar issue have you found out what was causing the problem yet? and is your 700 an efi or carb?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Yes, everything appears to working correctly---maybe I'm just working it to hard.
i really dont think you are working it too hard. i have seen these machines put around at 3-4 mph @110 degrees for 6 hours with a 100lbs of ice on the back (boat races) and they dont overheat then...

so many possibilities, you said its in the shop now?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New to this forum: I'm having a similar issue have you found out what was causing the problem yet? and is your 700 an efi or carb?
Thanks
i keep hearing conflicting issues that all sound like they could be involved.......from the jetting is out so its running lean and hot, to the impeller is bent and not pushing the coolant correctly, so on and so forth. so i currently have an impeller and seal on order, and am going to be doing a jet job so that i can throw a new exhaust on it anyways, so i hope that once i get everything together that it will all work as it is supposed to.

cause i really miss the bike that i bought, up until the first major overheat i could not get the temp to go up at all......no matter what i threw at it lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Overheating

Try checking the wiring for the thermal coupler at the bottom right hand corner of the radiator. My 700 polaris sportsman 2004 had a loose electrical connection and the fan was not working. Wiggling the wire would cause the fan to turn on but would not stay running, Part no. 4010161 (Sensor,thermal). The wires were burnt right at the sensor. The fan would work when I pulled on the wire but as soon as I went for a ride it would cut out and was overheating. Check this out it may help.:beer:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Any easy way to check to see if the thermo switch is working, is by taking a paper clip or small piece of banding wire, etc... and folding it around on itself. Pull the wire from the switch, and stick the paperclip in each side of the wire connection, making the circuit. If it comes on, you know the switch is bad.

This is from Jimmy, at another site, regarding purchasing a thermo switch:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Polaris Thermostatic Fan Switch Replacement Alternatives

Thermostatic Fan Switch (Thermal Sensor) (Polaris part # 4010161)

The radiator fan is turned on automatically when the thermal sensor reaches a certain temp to assist in cooling the engine coolant by blowing air through the cooling fins of the radiator. A defective sensor will guarantee an overheat situation. I found this on another site and it was confirmed a perfect fit and the specs say it will work fine.

Original Polaris fan switch, #4010161, $63...Contacts on @ 180 degrees

Contacts off @ 149 degrees

Non-OEM, manufactured by Wells #SW526, $40....Contacts on @ 194 degrees

Contacts off @ 174 degrees

Here’s another one which a member over at the QuadSquad has used on his 700. It is a Napa part # is FS147, the brand is Echlin . Cost $32

The application is for Nissan/Datsun 1984-1990 and can be found at any auto parts store.

Although the temp range is slightly higher on the non-OEM, I do not see any problems.
The engine coolant thermostat starts opening at 176 degrees and is fully open at 205 degrees. This means the ideal operating range of the engine is fully respected but may cause the fan to come on a little more frequently or sometimes less frequently depending on the conditions.

I have checked recent models and found the same part # for all the Polaris liquid cooled machines. This means the Wells unit will work in the 700/600/500/400. I do suggest you make sure your model requires the same Polaris part # as I have listed above before ordering the Wells unit.

thanks to ...
http://atvfrontier.com/Knowledge_Base/op=show/kid=104.html
--------------------------------------------------------------

I went to Autozone and had to order it, but free shipping.. and I did have to cut the old connector and put it on this one, cause it didn't match on mine, but it was well over half the price and works just fine. It was the Wells SW526, but on Autozone it's called a Duralast SW526.

This is it if the link works:

AutoZone.com | | Cooling Fan Switch - Radiator[[email protected]&currentPage=1&vehicleNValue=&navValue=15200115&parentId=52-0&fromString=search&fromWhere=null&filterByKeyWord=sw526&categoryNValue=15299999&categoryDisplayName=Climate+Control&_requestid=1936723

·
Registered
11 Posts
How has it been bro?
I need one as well , but I'm a little Leary on how the napa one shuts off at 174, compaired to the 149 on the stock ones

1 - 18 of 18 Posts