Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get one, specifically this one...2004 Polaris sportsman 700 twin

Is there anything I should know about these machines before i get one? Like common problems, tips, hints, anything. Pros and cons too if you could. I ride a 2000 polaris magnum right now for a 4x4(usually ride pred though), is this going to be a megalodon compared to the magnum? Also, how are they for mudding and water riding? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
It's not EFI model so you don't have to worry about the T-BAP sensor. I have a 2004.5 EFI and it has been bullet-proof aside from mentioned sensor. I don't mud but I think the circuit breakers under the front rack can give you trouble if you get them wet. Some get a little valve cover oil leakage. Maybe someone else can chime in with troubles... frankly I haven't had anything major happen to mine.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
700 EFI for that year was rated at about 44HP.. I think the carb was maybe 42HP. I could be wrong on carb rating though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only 42hp? Wow that's really low. Any quick things I could do to get it over 50? I'll probably add an exhaust anyways, but that would only get me up to about 45 or 46hp. If I put a K&N air filter in it would it increase hp? Maybe a jet kit?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Those were big numbers in the day nearly 10 years ago. Just think 250HP was considerable in a vehicle in 2003 and now it's commonplace. I'll defer to the others who engine/clutch mod. I'm a fairly stock guy as engine components go.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya that's very true. I was comparing in to the new Sportsman 850s and it didn't make sense to me that 150cc's made such a difference in hp. But now I see what you mean. If anyone know any upgrades please let me know

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
700 is a parallel OHV motor. IIRC both pistons move up and down at the same time but while one cylinder fires the other is on exhaust.

The 850 is SOHC and is opposite in cylinder action to the OHV twin.. I will need to defer to others the specific but it has more than pure CC going for it.

My stock 550 SOHC (single cyliner) basically has the same horsepower as my 700 OHV twin

I imagine my 700 has more torque though but I have never seen those numbers published

1 - 7 of 7 Posts