Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 sportsman 400 that bogs down when I go up hills. I have taken it to the dealer ship before and They did fix it. That was a year and a half ago. It is starting to do it again so whatever they did didn't really fix it and I don't want to take it back to them because I feel they are jerking me around on this because I'm younger. I have read online and other people seem to have this problem as well. Some people say that it needs to be rejetted.
Is this true? and how do you rejet your carburetor if that is the problem?

I am riding between 1,000 and 3,000 feet usually

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Possible but doubt it. remove the spark plug and look to see what it is, white to tan- you could go u[p a size or two on the main,dark brown to black-nope.
It might be best to look at the carb. slide to see if it is working properly, remove the air intake hose, where it attaches to the carb. and start the machine, look inside while giving it a couple sharp revs, you should see the slide go up, if not remove the two top screws on the carb. and check for any cracks in the diaphragm, be very careful as there is a spring inside the top cover. Check the needle in the slide as well, it should go up with the slide, .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I will check it out thanks. Another person said the carb might need a good cleaning so I'm going to do that also I'm going to buy a carb rebuild kit

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
make sure the air filter is clean. Make sure it doesnt leak any ari around the air box. The carbs need vacuum to work properly. Leaks mean no vacuum and no air through filter means no power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts