Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had little electrical power on 2004 (2005?) Sportsman so replaced the PDM. Now have power, but everything shuts down after about 10 seconds. Turn key off and on again immediatly and same thing happens. Lights and display for about 10 seconds and then everything cuts off again.
Battery is bad so had it hooked to a battery charger/booster putting out around 11.5 volts. Powers up for 10 seconds then everything cuts off.
Hooked it up to an Eliminator putting out around 13 volts and headlight comes on but no light or display on speedo and after around 10 seconds light cuts off.
Is there some relay that would cut out after around 10 seconds that I can check?
Any insight to this problem would be helpful.

(I realize I said 10 seconds an awful lot of times in this post :veryhappy: )

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You need to get a good battery. It may have 12 volts but wont put out any amperage. The pdm needs to have a solid source of power. Sounds to me its shutting itself down when the power gets low.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 05 sportsman 400 and ive replaced the battery and solenoid and still have no power anywhere. Any help??
Cluster isnt even powering up?

I would check over every single wire to make sure thats all ok as a place to start.
Why did you replace solenoid? Do you get any clicking anything at all?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have nothing. I'm getting power into the solenoid, but when turning the key switch to get power to go to the starter from solenoid I have nothing. I've jumped the ignition wire at the solenoid to the main power in cable(from battery to solenoid) and I get nothing at all

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey all,

Haven't gotten another battery to try but still fooling around with it with the booster. Don't know how a battery would do any better than the booster but then weirder things have been known to happen.
What I can't get out of my head is why everything shuts off after 10 seconds, but if you immediately flick the key or kill switch off and on it will all come on again for another 10 seconds.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lifted400, have you tried tapping the starter with the plastic handle of a screwdriver while trying to start it. had to do that a few times. could be brushes.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If you jump the starter right to the battery and the starter doesn't turn then you have a starter issue which is likely the brushes. If it does turn over then you have an issue farther up the system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts