Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 700 sportsman and I thought I would try the forum to help me with a problem.

I am having problems with the Information Center on our '04 700 Sportsman.

When I turn the key on, all of the segments display for 2.5 seconds as stated in the manual. Then the display shows a large E on the left and 98 in the lower right hand corner.

If I turn on/off the key quickly for three cycles, I get a large R on the left side and the 98 in the lower right corner. If I press the reverse override button while the large R is displayed, the 98 becomes the word "SLOW".

If I try to put the display into diagnostics mode ( neutral, park brake engaged, mode display button pushed while turning key on), I get the same display of the large E with 98.

Whoa, just went out and looked at it again and the display has changed to 98.5. Could it be that it is displaying engine hours?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hoosier Polaris Rider

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
421 Posts
if it shows a big "R" it sounds like its in revese. change the gears. it should change from "R" to "N" to "L" then "H". and when ur in "R" and press the over ride it will flash slow to tell you to go slow in reverse.

i dont know if that yr has a fuel gauge or nor but it could be becuse the tanks empty, or theres an error somewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome.

The display only shows the 'R' while pressing the reverse/mode button. While holding the button in and shifting to different gears does not change the 'R' in the display.

Still wondering what the problem is.....

Hoosier Polaris Rider

·
Registered
421 Posts
ok. well that sounds like the tranny switch issue. its either stuck, or some kinda issue in the tranny that switches the switch. id say check the tranny switches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I removed the plug to the gearbox switch and it does not show any signs of problems with the connector.

So, I removed the switch. Fairly easy operation. Remove the retainer clip and it slides off. I can not tell if the switch is defective. It seems to rotate ok. I could check continuity between contacts if I knew which ones to check.

One thing I did notice is that the ATV will start in any gear. I would have thought the switch would only allow the starter to engage in either Park or Neutral.

I looked in the owners manual but did not find any info on starter lock out if not in Park or Neutral.

Can someone verify that the starter should be locked out if in gear? If so, then my switch is probably defective.

thanks

Hoosier Polaris Rider

·
Registered
421 Posts
i know the newer sportsman that have the gear display have the starter lock out. it can only be started in park, neu, or brake applyed. what colors are the wires? i know purple is the ground signal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking at the connector as installed on the gearbox from left to right:

Blue with Red Stripe

White with Blue Stripe

Brown with Red Stripe

Green with White Stripe

Purple

Orange with Red stripe

thanks for the help on this

Hoosier Polaris Rider

·
Registered
421 Posts
ok

blue/red is hi gear
blue/white is low gear
brown is ground signsl in
green/white is neutral
purple is reverse
orange/red is park

so if you check it off the wheeler. apply your meter to the brown pin c. then check the rest of the pins with the meter. see if theres just a connection to the reverse pin and what not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I pulled the switch back off of the gearbox and checked the continuity in each of the gearshift positions. It appears to be functioning correctly.

I tried connecting a jumper between the ground and various other points on the electrical plug ( Park, Neutral, Low, etc.) and could not get the display to change.

Hoosier Polaris Rider

·
Registered
421 Posts
well if you couldnt get it to change that way. then it could be the speedo. when you unpluged the sensor did the r disapear? if not its more than likly the speedo, or the purple wire is either pinched or shorted out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll see if I can do some additional troubleshooting on Wednesday. Try a few of the suggestions you propose. Will also see if I can trace the wireing for any problems in the harness.

thanks for the help. will keep you posted.

Hoosier

1 - 12 of 12 Posts