Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the midyear builds added fuel gauges on the 700 Twins. Has anyone added that to a 2004 build?

My instrument cluster LCD has space for the fuel indicators, but doesn't show anything. Pulling my pod apart I see 2 unused connectors floating around (one is a waterproof 2 terminal and the other is a 3 terminal white plastic).

I'm guessing I need to buy a sender and attach to my gas tank? Or are the senders integrated into the 2004.5 tanks?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
On 2004.5 EFI fuel pump, regulator and sending unit are all part of the same assembly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the carb units, the sender looks like it is integrated into the tank. If I could buy the sender separate, I could install it into my tank and connect to the instrument cluster.....maybe.

Just curious if anyone has done this and could confirm that it works.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it....

In case anyone would like the fuel gauge on their 2004, here's how I did it.

1) Bought a sender from a 2004 Sportsman 700. Not the fuel pump/sender combined, just the simple sender. You can't buy them from Polaris anymore. I got a used one off eBay. But it's actually a Rochester Gauge part 8340-8150.

http://www.rochestergauges.com/Pages/PDFs/8340_8343.pdf

2) Bored a hole into my tank just wide enough to fit the sender down through, but smaller than the sender mount/gasket. I oriented the sender as pictured to give the float room to rise. Then drilled some tap holes and screwed the sender into my tank.

3) My wiring harness already had the fuel sender connector (see the picture) *and* my instrument cluster firmware knew how to handle the sender input. Lucky me? Or are they all like that? My build date is May 2003.

4) The PVT exhaust vent lays on top of the tank, so I had to remove some material to allow it to fit over the top of the sender (see the picture).

Seems to be working, but haven't ran a tank through yet.

Also attached a picture of the headlight mod.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts