Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my first post on this forum, as I just bought my first ATV for use on my property. Its a 2005 Sportsman HO. Got it pretty cheap but it had a few issues. Replaced the battery, it now starts fine, but the clutch drags constantly, making it nearly impossible to change gear with the engine running.

I pulled the secondary clutch and found all the screws missing and the 3 rollers just rattling around loose! Fixed that, started her up and the clutch still dragging.

With the clutch cover off, the primary clutch looks too be working properly when I rev it, its just that the secondary clutch spins constantly too, even at idle speed of 1100-1200rpm.

Belt looks new, primary clutch seems OK, gave it a clean and put it back in. No better.
Not sure what to do next. Rebuild primary clutch? Replace it? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

·
8,954 Posts
Check clutch alignment. Check your front engine mount to see if broken. If belt running against one side of the primary you can add or subtract shims behind the secondary to do fine adjustments.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took this photo today of the primary clutch. My primary clutch pulley is ribbed. I'm not sure if this is standard or not, some of the other clutches I've seen pics of are smooth! Also, I don't know if this pulley needs a special belt or not. I've tried adjusting the shims in the secondary clutch without success. I think the ribs on the pulley are influencing the alignment of the drive belt. Any one got any ideas or opinions???

Attachments

·
8,954 Posts
That style clutch is notorious for wearing the washers and spacer that set belt clearance (2,3 & 16)and the one-way clutch/bearing (1) getting dry, worn and sticky. You probably will need the clutch freshened up with new washers and maybe a spacer and the one-way cleaned and greased or replaced.
Is the belt running against one side?
Have you taken the belt off and checked that the one-way works smooth?

·
Premium Member
3,653 Posts
What he said! Worked on my buddy's '05 which had the same problem. My 600 has the same design but by '07 it looks like Polaris changed it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Started pulling the drive clutch apart, and the one way bearing is jammed solid. That would explain the constant drag! Now to make a tool to separate the clutch.

Thanks for the help guys,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A bit more info: The one way clutch bearing is stuffed. The sprag rollers and springs are fine, but the small needle bearing and retainer is done. Got a quote from Polaris in Australia for a new bearing/clutch assembly. $450 !! Not happening. Ordered one from the US, still cost over $200 Australian delivered. Had a good look at the needle bearing and got the number off it. SCE228. Would you believe the needle bearing is available from Amazon for 8 bucks!

So if your one way clutch, part# 1520231, is dead, have a look at the needle bearing and if its stuffed, replace it with a new one from Amazon for $8.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I don't think you can fix a defective one way clutch just by replacing the $8 roller bearing :|
Right. You should get the washers as well. I'd be a bit leary of a bearing that cheap( $60. is about the cheapest I've seen in U.S.) since it may be a two-way bearing, keep in mind Polaris did offer both.

·
8,954 Posts
I don't think you can fix a defective one way clutch just by replacing the $8 roller bearing :|
Right. You should get the washers as well. I'd be a bit leary of a bearing that cheap( $60. is about the cheapest I've seen in U.S.) since it may be a two-way bearing, keep in mind Polaris did offer both.
Yeah, I think he's talking about just the little needle bearing that is a part of the actual one-way clutch. Often when you pull an older one-way off the needle bearing will just fall apart. If you caught it early enough, replacing it and cleaning regreasing the rest might would patch it up enough to last for a while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its a one way clutch. I cleaned, polished and re-greased the sprag bearings and springs and they work fine. Its the small needle bearing in the other end of the clutch that are gone.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
OK - I usually replace the whole thing because I figure if the bearing is worn out, the sprag isn't too far behind - just the way I do things myself

·
8,954 Posts
I'd never thought about trying it but I have an old one in the shop I may experiment on. Stick it on one of the old farm machines and try it around the farm. :thinking:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK - I usually replace the whole thing because I figure if the bearing is worn out, the sprag isn't too far behind - just the way I do things myself
I agree, but at $450 for the whole thing, versus $20 for the needle bearing, its worth a shot.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I agree, but at $450 for the whole thing, versus $20 for the needle bearing, its worth a shot.
I don't know what dealer you got to, but the MSRP on the one-way-clutch $184.50 and my dealer sells them to me for less than that. I usually get at least a 10% discount and sometimes more. You can get them on Ebay for $160

1 - 18 of 18 Posts