Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this forum after trouble shooting my issue after buying a used 05 sportsman 500 ho. A lot of good info on here which helped me narrow the issue down but figured I would make a post since I havent found exactly what I'm going through. So here goes...

The quad starts right up everytime... if I ride it or rev it a bit in park the battery light will start to blink. If I'm riding it, it will die BUT once I turn the lights on low or high it wont happen and everything is fine. Does anyone know why the lights being on stops the issue?

Leaving that question and going back to trying to figure out what is wrong with the charging system. Before I got to searching online, my local dealer suggested swapping out the ecm since the voltage rectifier is all in one on them and they upgraded it. So I did, still have the problem. That's when I found this place and learned how to test the stator. What I have read is I can test the 3 wires coming from the stator and I should have continuity between any 2 but not between any of them and ground. I have attached a picture hoping someone can confirm I am testing the correct wires (the plug with 3 yellow wires). If I am, I have continuity between every wire and ground. Soo if the stator is bad, would the quad still start right up? And then back to why does the lights being on "fix" the problem?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having
I found this forum after trouble shooting my issue after buying a used 05 sportsman 500 ho. A lot of good info on here which helped me narrow the issue down but figured I would make a post since I havent found exactly what I'm going through. So here goes...

The quad starts right up everytime... if I ride it or rev it a bit in park the battery light will start to blink. If I'm riding it, it will die BUT once I turn the lights on low or high it wont happen and everything is fine. Does anyone know why the lights being on stops the issue?

Leaving that question and going back to trying to figure out what is wrong with the charging system. Before I got to searching online, my local dealer suggested swapping out the ecm since the voltage rectifier is all in one on them and they upgraded it. So I did, still have the problem. That's when I found this place and learned how to test the stator. What I have read is I can test the 3 wires coming from the stator and I should have continuity between any 2 but not between any of them and ground. I have attached a picture hoping someone can confirm I am testing the correct wires (the plug with 3 yellow wires). If I am, I have continuity between every wire and ground. Soo if the stator is bad, would the quad still start right up? And then back to why does the lights being on "fix" the problem?

View attachment 136420

I'm having similar issue. Mine is a 2005 Scrambler 500 ho. Had no charging system and wouldn't charge to 14.5 volts approx. That plug in the photo was completely burnt. I cut it and manually connected the wires back up. Now a have a good 14.5 volts at idle, but high volts (17+) when reving it up.

I'm stumped here also.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
I'm having

View attachment 136420

Thanks for any help

When the stator shorts to ground it can apply AC voltage to the battery by back feeding through ground - AC will cause the battery to discharge while indicating a high voltage across the battery terminals with the engine running. A shorted diode in the rectifier can cause the same problem without the stator being shorted to ground. Having the lights on may buffer the high voltage because the light don't care if they operate on AC or DC, but the ECM provides a protected DC to the rest of the system - if the voltage is too high, it will shut off the DC and the engine will die - having the lights on lowers the voltage to the rest of the system.

Even if the stator is bad, the ignition just needs battery voltage to run - the stator is responsible for generating AC to charge the battery.

Hope this makes sense to you. Replace the stator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts