Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried running brad Penn high zinc oil I can get 50 weight for a good price and I ride a lot in the Arizona summer do you think this Will be ok

·
Registered
426 Posts
Looks like it comes in a straight 50 grade or 20W-50. No way would I use the straight 50 grade. I suppose the 20W-50 would be ok in Arizona. Ideally you should use a 0W-40, 5W-40, or 5W-50.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
if you want high zinc..just use some 5-50 or 5-40 and get some Lucas hi zinc additive....I my self use 3 oz of moly in oil change sine the moly adheres to metal so there is lube there before oil gets up in rockers...

here is some hi zinc additive.... Engine Break-In Oil Additive | Lucas Oil Products, Inc.

it says for break in period or just a oil additive...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry for my ignorance but why would you not use straight 50 I'm trying to learn as much as I can so any explanation would be greatly appreciated thank you

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I'm sorry for my ignorance but why would you not use straight 50 I'm trying to learn as much as I can so any explanation would be greatly appreciated thank you
Straight wright oils are really single dimensional. A multigrade such as 5W50 is much better. It is a 5 weight in tne cold temps, and a 50 weight in tbe hot temps.

Polaris does not recommend single grade oils.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the straight 50 is thick and since the 500 is a dry sump..it will be awhile before the oil gets thru the engine...why the oil tank..thats like your oil pan...a thinner oil like 5-40 will flow better when started and then per say thicken to 40W as engine gets heated...but will be a 5W when you start it to get oil flowing faster....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts